History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ministry of Defence Building L148 (Group G Incorporating Mills)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Waltham Abbey, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6934 / 51°41'36"N

Longitude: -0.0093 / 0°0'33"W

OS Eastings: 537689

OS Northings: 201284

OS Grid: TL376012

Mapcode National: GBR KCZ.Y6H

Mapcode Global: VHGQ2.SPGP

Entry Name: Ministry of Defence Building L148 (Group G Incorporating Mills)

Listing Date: 26 November 1993

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1262902

English Heritage Legacy ID: 433792

Location: Waltham Abbey, Epping Forest, Essex, EN9

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Waltham Abbey

Built-Up Area: Waltham Abbey

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Waltham Abbey

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Waltham Cross

Listing Text

ROYAL GUNPOWDER FACTORY
TL3700
3/10019 MOD Building L148
(Group G Incorporating Mills)
GV II*

Gunpowder Incorporating Mills. 1888-9, converted for cordite incorporation c1898-9. English bond yellow brick with hipped slate roofs to Engine House and Boiler House; cross wings have brick walls separating the bays which continue as coped gables breaking through the felt and slate roof; mid C20 replacement walling to originally wood and canvas side walls. T-plan: central Engine House with Boiler House at east end and cross wings at its north and south sides for gunpowder incorporating mills. One storey, with taller engine house to centre, chamfered brick plinth and brick dentil cornice to Engine House and Boiler House. Boiler House of 4xl bays, the bays articulated by brick pilasters and each originally with segmental brick arches over windows with blind rectangular panels below and east doorway with keyed semi-circular arch. Engine House has rubbed red brick semi-circular arches over paired windows to east and west elevations. Interior noted as having similar roof structure and features to L157 (qv), upon which it was modelled. There was an open verandah along the west front. On the south side of the Boiler House was a coal yard, and the building was served by a tramline to the west. The building was repaired after an explosion in 1902.
(RCHME report, 1993).


Listing NGR: TL3768901284

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.