History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Limekiln

A Grade II Listed Building in Ipswich, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1028 / 52°6'10"N

Longitude: 1.1114 / 1°6'40"E

OS Eastings: 613184

OS Northings: 249511

OS Grid: TM131495

Mapcode National: GBR TM7.5SW

Mapcode Global: VHLBL.6DWT

Plus Code: 9F434436+4G

Entry Name: Limekiln

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Last Amended: 24 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1251231

English Heritage Legacy ID: 433462

Location: Claydon, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Claydon

Built-Up Area: Claydon

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Claydon and Barham St Mary and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Claydon

Listing Text

CLAYDON OLD IPSWICH ROAD
TM 14 NW
7/107 Limekiln (formerly listed
as Limekiln Farmhouse)
9.12.55
- II
House, formerly farmhouse. Early or mid C15 with alterations of mid C19. 2
storeys. An H-plan open-hall house. Timber-framed, encased mid C19 in red
brick, the cross wings given flat pilaster-buttresses and dentilled eaves
course. Plaintiled roofs, the wings hipped since C18/C19. Rear and side
chimneys of C16 and later. Mid C19 small-pane sash windows with cambered or
flat arches of brick. C19 6-panelled door in cross-entry position, the upper
panels glazed. The timber-framing is of high quality and fairly complete;
close studwork with some tension-bracing. The 2-bay open hall has an open
truss with massive cambered arch-braced tie-beam (both arch-braces are cut
back) and an octagonal crown-post with well-moulded capital and base and 4-way
solid bracing. The parlour wing to right has an ogee-moulded binding joist,
and in the solar is an open crown post truss and a blocked doorway with 4-
centred head. All crown-post roofs are complete. A 1st floor was inserted
into the hall in C17, and attic floors throughout. A good C18 corner cupboard
in a parlour formed in the service wing. A 2-storey extension, perhaps partly
encasing some earlier work, was added to left in early C20.


Listing NGR: TM1318449511

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.