History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Crown Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in Claydon, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1058 / 52°6'21"N

Longitude: 1.1118 / 1°6'42"E

OS Eastings: 613202

OS Northings: 249846

OS Grid: TM132498

Mapcode National: GBR TM1.ZX1

Mapcode Global: VHLBL.7B4H

Entry Name: The Crown Inn

Listing Date: 24 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1263020

English Heritage Legacy ID: 433457

Location: Claydon, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Claydon

Built-Up Area: Claydon

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Claydon and Barham St Mary and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Claydon

Listing Text

CLAYDON IPSWICH ROAD
TM 15 NW
7/102 The Crown Inn
-
- II

Public House. Mid C16 core with major alterations of C19 and C20. 2 storeys,
4 windows. Timber-framed and plastered; the lower storey walling is
underbuilt in C19 plastered brickwork. Plaintiled roof. Mid C19 sash windows
with small panes; one window has side-lights. 2 C19 entrance doorways with
moulded architraves, each with an oblong fanlight and a cornice on carved
brackets; one doorway has a 6-panelled door, the other a pair with 3 panels
each. In the public bar the main 1st floor beams are exposed, each having
ogee mouldings and a sunk soffit carved with linked circles, and the ceiling
gives evidence that the upper storey was originally jettied along the front.
There is a wide C17 open fireplace with cambered lintel. A 2-bay timber-
framed rear wing, probably late C16, has an arch-braced open truss in the rear
wall and has therefore been truncated. The cellar appears to be original, but
altered. In a ground floor room is a good late C18 corner cupboard. A small
lower extension beyond of c.1800, painted brick and pantiled. Other brick and
concrete plaintiled extensions were added to right and rear in mid C20. Until
the C19 this was know as The Griffin Inn.


Listing NGR: TM1320249846

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.