History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Washford Pyne, Devon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8937 / 50°53'37"N

Longitude: -3.6902 / 3°41'24"W

OS Eastings: 281226

OS Northings: 111832

OS Grid: SS812118

Mapcode National: GBR L7.S2YM

Mapcode Global: FRA 365R.05R

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 26 August 1965

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1251263

English Heritage Legacy ID: 433927

Location: Washford Pyne, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Washford Pyne

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Washford Pyne St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Witheridge

Listing Text

WASHFORD PYNE WASHFORD PYNE
SS 81 SW
3/285
- Church of St Peter
26.8.65
GV
II*

Small parish church. Tower base C15, rest rebuilt in 1882 by R M Fulford;
contractor was J R Gibbard of Exeter and all carved work by Hems of Exeter. Tower
of roughly-shaped purple mudstone and volcanic trap rubble with red tile hung belfry
and tiled spire; the rest of neater purple mudstone and volcanic trap tending to
courses, Ham stone detail used with red sandstone internally, and slate roofs with
slightly crested red tiles. Nave with slightly smaller and narrower chancel, south
transept chapel, west tower, south porch and vestry on north side of chancel. Tower
is Perpendicular, the rest is late C19 Gothic with Arts and Crafts Movement
elements. Low, unbuttressed single stage west tower with chamfered plinth is
restored C15 work and is surmounted by 1882 tile hung belfry containing pairs of
slatted and cinquefoil-headed timber windows each side and low broach spire with
brass weather cock on the apex. North side of tower has small C19 volcanic lancets
to internal stairs. West side includes a C15 granite 2-centred arch with moulded
surround, containing a C19 plank door with wrought iron strap hinges with fleur-de-
lys finials, and, above the door, an 1882 Hamstone Early Decorated style 2-light
arch-headed window. The tower plinth is carried round to the south front of the
nave. Thereafter the fabric is wholly work of 1882. Nave only shows left of porch
and contains a Hamstone square-headed window with trefoil ogee arched light and open
spandrels. Soffit-chamfered eaves cornice of volcanic stone. South porch has
rusticated volcanic quoins and Hamstone ashlar coping to gable and fleuree cross at
apex. Outer arch has double chamfered surround and moulded hood mould and carved
foliate labels. Gable has moulded dripcourse with a trefoil-headed nich above
containing a carved statue of St Peter and a fruiting vine bracket below which
descends as the keystone of the outer arch. The outer left porch wall has a
trefoil-headed lancet. Eastern wall is shared by gable-ended south chapel which is
built as high as the nave but does not project as far as the porch. It has
rusticated volcanic quoins and a small projecting eaves cornice with hollow-
Chamfered soffit under the gable which is surmounted by a fleuree cross. Front
contains a large arch-headed moulded hoodmould over 2 tall square-headed single
light windows separated by an equally narrow section of walling. Each is a trefoil-
headed light with quatrefoil over and open spandrels. In the arch above these
windows is a quatrefoil light. Below the sill is a moulded dripcourse with a band
of rusticated volcanic ashlar beneath. Another band of similar volcanic stone
across front at eaves level is interupted by windows. Volcanic ashlar relieving
arch above Hamstone hoodmound. Above this is a horizontal band of Hamstone meeting
the coping and under gable top is a Hamstone ventilator slit. Near the ground are 2
Hamstone quatrefoil ventilators. To the right, in the angle between chapel and
chancel is a diagonal turret containing a lancet window provided to light a Hamstone
lined diagonal channel between the chapel and chancel. Chancel south side has a 2-
light square-headed window in similar style to the others. East end appears to be
wholly 1882 work but includes a reset volcanic 3-light arched window with simple
arch-headed lights in C17 Perpendicular style. Gable has usual Hamstone hollow-
chamfered eaves cornice and fleuree cross at the apex. On the north side of the
chancel roof is carried down over the vestry which has tall ashlar chimney shaft.
The north side of the nave includes 2 bands of rusticated volcanic ashlar broken by
the Hamstone windows, all square-headed with ogee headed lights; a 2-light window
at left end and a pair of 2-light windows at the right (west) end. 2 Hamstone
quatrefoil ventilators are low down near the right end.
A good and remarkably complete interior of 1882. Porch has floor of coloured and
shaped tiles, wooden benches on each side, and an open common rafter roof with
moulded wall plates. Plain round-headed arch to south door. Studded plank door
with oak lock housing may be C16 but cover strips and ironwork are 1882. Nave has
4-bay roof. Trusses have moulded arch-braces springing from moulded Hamstone
corbels. Bays between have a plank ceiling making a 6-sided vault. Similar roofs
to chancel and chapel but with curving plank vaults. Chancel roof has crenellated
wall plate. High red sandstone tower arch has plain sides, imposts which are
moulded on nave side only, and moulded arch. Moulded Hamstone chancel arch. 2-bay
arcade to south chapel of moulded Hamstone arches and an octagonal red sandstone
pier with Hamstone base and moulded capital. Plastered walls but embrasures have
exposed red sandstone quoins and heads. A horizontal band of similar stone is
exposed in nave immediately below corbel level. At the bottom the walls are lined
with coloured and shaped tiles set in simple patterns up to dado level. Floors of
similar tiles. Nave tiles are stamped on the back, Craven, Dunhill and Co.,
Jackfield, Salop. Rear arches of windows have chamfered low ogee-headed rear arches
to deeply splayed embrasures. The double window on north side of nave has a double
arch and central circular pier of red sandstone with moulded Hamstone base and
capital. The Hamstone diagonal squint between the chancel and chapel has trefoil-
headed lights each end. Plain chamfered Hamstone arched doorway from chancel to
vestry. Oak Gothic-style choir stalls and pews, the latter retaining original brass
oil lamps held aloft on twisted standards. Oak altar rail on turned balusters.
Gothic chancel screen the gift of Charles Comyns Tucker (died 1922). Elaborately
carved oak lectern; the square base rests on the symbols of the apostles, the stem
features the Sword of Spirit; an Agnus Dei on the front, and the centre piece
supporting the desk is dated 1893 and forms a small box or reliquary which is
inscribed internally "In memory of George Tucker and My (Mary?), Tarbarton" with a
Biblical motto. Gothic-style oak pulpit the gift of Elizabeth Bragg (died 1910).
Similar brass candleholders with curving stems and repoussee leafwork to choir
stalls and pulpit. Organ in south aisle built by A W Walker of London in 1869
according to makers plaque. Stained glass memorial window in chancel to Carson
family. Other windows contain leaded geometric patterns of shaped and colour-tinted
translucent glass. All glass circa 1882 by Drake. South chapel includes a reset
Neoclassical black and white mural monument to Mrs Agnes Lambe (died 1807). An
unusually complete and well-designed and quite original late C19 church of national
importance.
Sources: Devon C19 Church Project.


Listing NGR: SS8122611832

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.