History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Court House

A Grade II Listed Building in Horncastle, Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2108 / 53°12'38"N

Longitude: -0.1141 / 0°6'50"W

OS Eastings: 526043

OS Northings: 369848

OS Grid: TF260698

Mapcode National: GBR JSG.MZC

Mapcode Global: WHHKJ.6KYF

Entry Name: The Old Court House

Listing Date: 25 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1251572

English Heritage Legacy ID: 434285

Location: Horncastle, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN9

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Horncastle

Built-Up Area: Horncastle

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Horncastle Group

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Horncastle

Listing Text

TF 2669 HORNCASTLE LOUTH ROAD
(west side)

7/49 The Old Court House

G.V. II

Courthouse now job centre. 1865. Stock brick with limestone
ashlar dressings. Hipped slate roof with overhanging eaves and
large, ashlar, scrolled brackets, and 4 hip stacks. Two and a
half storey, 3 bay front flanked by single, 2 storey bays with
semi-circular south-west and south-east corners. Ground floor
with rusticated brick bands and first floor ashlar band with
brick dentillation. Central 3 bays project slightly and are
defined by ashlar quoins, those on the ground floor with tooled
decoration. 3 central plain sashes with margin lights, segmental
heads, rusticated brick heads and raised ashlar keystones. A
similar window in the single bay to left; in the right hand bay,
a single, slit, fixed light. Doorway beyond, situated on semi-
circular corner, with flanking, freestanding Doric columns with
entablatures, moulded ashlar doorcase with segmental brick
rusticated head above, and raised ashlar keystone, overlight and
double panelled door. First floor with 3 central plain sashes
with margin lights, semi-circular heads, eared and shouldered
ashlar architraves rising round head to raised keystone. Single
plain sash with margin lights, to left and right, both with
segmental heads, and eared and shouldered ashlar architraves.
Beneath the window on the south-east corner, and above the
doorway is a large stone royal coat of arms supported by a
rampant lion and unicorn. Above central 3 bays are 3 squat 3
light casements set in between the moulded scrolled brackets
supporting eaves.


Listing NGR: TF2604369848

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.