This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2104 / 53°12'37"N
Longitude: -0.1136 / 0°6'48"W
OS Eastings: 526075
OS Northings: 369810
OS Grid: TF260698
Mapcode National: GBR JSG.N44
Mapcode Global: WHHKJ.7K5P
Plus Code: 9C5X6V6P+5H
Entry Name: War Memorial Hospital
Listing Date: 6 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386198
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471623
Location: Horncastle, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN9
Civil Parish: Horncastle
Built-Up Area: Horncastle
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Horncastle Group
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TF 26 69 27 69 HORNCASTLE NORTH STREET
War Memorial Hospital
Public dispensary with attached railings and gate, converted to cottage hospital. 1866 converted 1924. Designed by Bellamy & Hardy of Lincoln. White brick with ashlar and red brick dressings. Welsh slate hipped roof with tall brick stacks to rear.
Street front has projecting central bay topped with blind attic dormer incribed:-
EDWARD HARRISON MD
SIR JOSEPH BANKS KT
THIS BUILDING WAS
IN MEMORY OF
SIR HY DYMOKE BART
A GENEROUS SUPPORTER
OF THIS INSTITUTION
Decorated with carved impost band ashlar moulded and coped gable and cast iron finials. Central entrance arch has painted round headed arch inscribed:- WAR MEMORIAL HOSPITAL, with carved impost band. Set back to eitherside single 3-light windows each with round headed ashlar tops, moulded impost and red sandstone mullions. First floor has moulded ashlar cill band with single central window and flanking 3-light winddows with moulded round headed ashlar tops, carved imposts and ashlar round mullions.
Similar single light round headed windows to returns. To left set back slightly later addition with single plain sash to each floor and pedimented gable.
Forcourt bounded by low white brick wall topped with ashlar coping and cast iron spearhead railings and central gate.
INTERIOR retains original windows and doors plus wooden staircase with painted turned balusters and elaborate cast iron newel post.
This dispensary was founded Oct 28th 1789 by Sir Joseph Banks, Lewis Dymoke, Wm Elmhirst, and E Laycock MD, E Harrison MD and John Chislet Surgeon & Apothacery, and this building was built in 1866 at a cost of o1,026.10s.11d including fixtures and fittings.
Listing NGR: TF2607569810
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 23 January 2017.
Other nearby listed buildings