This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3538 / 51°21'13"N
Longitude: -1.994 / 1°59'38"W
OS Eastings: 400516
OS Northings: 161631
OS Grid: SU005616
Mapcode National: GBR 2V1.0Q9
Mapcode Global: VHB4G.D77K
Entry Name: 44 and 45, New Park Street
Listing Date: 19 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1251610
English Heritage Legacy ID: 434334
Location: Devizes, Wiltshire, SN10
Civil Parish: Devizes
Built-Up Area: Devizes
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Devizes St John
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
1042 NEW PARK STREET
(North East Side)
Nos 44 and 45
SU 0061 3a/292
Original lease from the Borough of 1663 renewed in 1743 and now freehold.
The present front probably dating from the time of renewal. 3 storeys red
brick casing a timber frame. Rendered plinth, brick bands between storeys.
Eaves band. Slate roof with hipped gable ends. 3 windows to upper floors
(traces of other blocked windows), slightly recessed sashes, 3 panes wide
with cambered heads, moulded frames, segmental brick arches to 1st floor,
block sills. Ground floor has yard entry to left, double plank doors with
wood lintel, timber framing visible on side wall. Early C19 shop window of
6 large panes and door of 4 panes and flush panel. Recessed house door of
4 fielded panels with good lion head iron knocker. Window and doors flanked
by Doric pilasters with common frieze and cornice. To right the door of No
45 is recessed of 6 moulded panels with fist and ring knocker. To far right
small early C19 shop window of 6 panes, flanked from sill level by pilasters
with frieze and cornice hood over.
The shop interior of No 44 has fielded panelling and in the corner a bowed
chimney breast also panelled. The yard entry dates from circa 1840 when a
malthouse was added to the rear, this survives and was in use until 1905.
Adjoining along yard and formerly part of the malthouse a print works run
by the present owner of the property with a very fine cast iron press of circa
1860 still in use and decorated with the attributes of the press staff of
Nos 43 to 46 (consec) form a group.
Listing NGR: SU0051661631
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings