History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Field Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in Shepton Mallet, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1856 / 51°11'8"N

Longitude: -2.544 / 2°32'38"W

OS Eastings: 362077

OS Northings: 143073

OS Grid: ST620430

Mapcode National: GBR MS.5K9V

Mapcode Global: VH8B0.VGGG

Plus Code: 9C3V5FP4+7C

Entry Name: The Field Inn

Listing Date: 21 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1251745

English Heritage Legacy ID: 434535

Location: Shepton Mallet, Mendip, Somerset, BA4

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Shepton Mallet

Built-Up Area: Shepton Mallet

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Shepton Mallet

Listing Text

SHEPTON MALLET


ST 62 43 CANNARD'S GRAVE ROAD
7/220 (North East Side)
II
The Field Inn

GV


Inn. Circa 1800 with later C19 additions. Rubble, partly coursed, with dressed
stone quoins and details; slate roof. Stone coped gables with small kneelers and
two ashlar gable end stacks. Two storeys with single storey wing and outshuts.
Symmetrical three bay front to main block. Central doorway with ashlar jambs and
shallow arched head; timber door with three vertical panels; flat stone hood over
doorway supported on a pair of shaped stone brackets. To either side a sash with
glazing bars (3x3 panes) set in flush dressed stone frames with projecting stone
sills; segmental relieving arches over. On first floor three later C19 renewed
sashes with side margin bars set in similar stone frames and sills. The left
hand ground floor corner of block is turned in an ashlar quadrant. Set back to
the rear of left hand gable wall a single storey wing with monopitch roof with a
lean-to additon against its rear wall, both with pantile roofs and not of special
interest. Set back to rear of right hand gable a two storey lateral wing partly
masked in the front angle with gable wall by a C20 added toilet block not of special
interest. To right of toilet block the wing has a ground floor doorway with
segmental stone arch and a loft door above. The wing links with the end of a
terrace of three cottages (q.v.) which fronts the forecourt at right angles.
At rear of wing, a single storey lean-to not of special interest.


Listing NGR: ST6207743073

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.