This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9529 / 50°57'10"N
Longitude: 0.7353 / 0°44'6"E
OS Eastings: 592213
OS Northings: 120609
OS Grid: TQ922206
Mapcode National: GBR RZ1.0QZ
Mapcode Global: FRA D6FL.G7S
Plus Code: 9F22XP3P+44
Entry Name: The Landgate
Listing Date: 12 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1251769
English Heritage Legacy ID: 434566
Location: Rye, Rother, East Sussex, TN31
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Rye
Built-Up Area: Rye
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Rye
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 9220 1/145 12.10.51.
Scheduled as an AM. The 2 lower storeys 1340, the top storey 1380. Gate
with 2 round towers on moulded plinths flanking it. Built of stone rubble.
The parapet has disappeared. The string course and machiolations with
moulded corbels remain on the north front. The latter has a pointed arch
with grooves for the portcullis. The south front has an elliptical arch
flanked by buttresses, of which that on the west has been removed. In the
reveals of the inner arch are pointed doorways giving access to the side
towers. Rectangular loop windows with ashlar dressings in the towers.
Trefoil-headed lancets over the gate. The floors and roof of the gate
and towers have disappeared-. Tile clock was inserted in 1862.
The South Side of The Landgate, Nos 1 & 2 form a group with Nos 1 to 4 (consec)
The Forge and Forge House. East Cliff.
Listing NGR: TQ9221220608
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings