History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Coach House, Stables, Grooms House and Linking Garden Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Charlton Musgrove, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0714 / 51°4'16"N

Longitude: -2.3916 / 2°23'29"W

OS Eastings: 372658

OS Northings: 130298

OS Grid: ST726302

Mapcode National: GBR 0V4.N6H

Mapcode Global: FRA 56W9.22T

Entry Name: The Coach House, Stables, Grooms House and Linking Garden Walls

Listing Date: 29 August 1984

Last Amended: 15 November 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1251796

English Heritage Legacy ID: 434607

Location: Charlton Musgrove, South Somerset, Somerset, BA9

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Charlton Musgrove

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Wincanton

Listing Text

In the entry for:
CHARLTON MUSGROVE CP
ST73SW
6/224 The Old Coach
House, stables,
grooms house and
linking garden
walls

II
The address should be amended to read:

ST73SW CHARLTON MUSGROVE CP
6/224 The Coach House,
Stables, Grooms
House and linking
garden walls

II

------------------------------------

CHARLTON MUSGROVE CP
ST73SW

6/224 The Old Coach House, stables,
groom's house and linking garden
walls

II

Coach House. Dated 1806. Local stone rubble with ashlar dressings; plain clay tiled roof. "T"-plan, single storey with
attics, 4 bays irregular fenestration. On West elevation central projecting gable with "Y"-tracery window to first
floor, and above plain oval plaque inscribed: "T L 1806"; otherwise C20 casements with traceried glazing bars. 10
metres West, linked by walling, the matching 2-storey groom's house, one room each floor, small side (enclosed)
staircase; small C20 lean-to addition to North 12 metres North West of house the stables to match, single storey, 6
bays with semi-circular "Y"-tracery windows bays 1 and 6, segmental arched doorways bays 2 and 5, modern casement
windows bays 3 and 4. Linking walls of rubble with flat stone copings, average 3 metres high enclosing stable yard,
kitchen garden and fruit garden, where the walls are 4 metres high and brick-lined on the inside. A complete and
attractive servants and kitchen garden complex to the former Charlton Musgrove Rectory, erected 1806 by the Leir
family, who held the living of the Church for about 200 years: the Rectory destroyed by fire cl940.


Listing NGR: ST7265830298

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

In the entry for:
CHARLTON MUSGROVE CP
ST73SW
6/224 The Old Coach
House, stables,
grooms house and
linking garden
walls

II
The address should be amended to read:

ST73SW CHARLTON MUSGROVE CP
6/224 The Coach House,
Stables, Grooms
House and linking
garden walls

II

------------------------------------

CHARLTON MUSGROVE CP
ST73SW

6/224 The Old Coach House, stables,
groom's house and linking garden
walls

II

Coach House. Dated 1806. Local stone rubble with ashlar dressings; plain clay tiled roof. "T"-plan, single storey with
attics, 4 bays irregular fenestration. On West elevation central projecting gable with "Y"-tracery window to first
floor, and above plain oval plaque inscribed: "T L 1806"; otherwise C20 casements with traceried glazing bars. 10
metres West, linked by walling, the matching 2-storey groom's house, one room each floor, small side (enclosed)
staircase; small C20 lean-to addition to North 12 metres North West of house the stables to match, single storey, 6
bays with semi-circular "Y"-tracery windows bays 1 and 6, segmental arched doorways bays 2 and 5, modern casement
windows bays 3 and 4. Linking walls of rubble with flat stone copings, average 3 metres high enclosing stable yard,
kitchen garden and fruit garden, where the walls are 4 metres high and brick-lined on the inside. A complete and
attractive servants and kitchen garden complex to the former Charlton Musgrove Rectory, erected 1806 by the Leir
family, who held the living of the Church for about 200 years: the Rectory destroyed by fire cl940.


Listing NGR: ST7265830298

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.