This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1802 / 53°10'48"N
Longitude: -1.2129 / 1°12'46"W
OS Eastings: 452697
OS Northings: 365081
OS Grid: SK526650
Mapcode National: GBR 8DS.L5Q
Mapcode Global: WHDFS.BBN9
Entry Name: Church of St Chad
Listing Date: 22 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1251819
English Heritage Legacy ID: 434655
Location: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, NG19
Electoral Ward/Division: Woodhouse
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Mansfield Woodhouse
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
MANSFIELD WOODHOUSE CHURCH LANE
SK 56 NW
1/19 Church of St. Chad
Parish church. 1881. For Joseph Paget. Coursed squared rubble
and brick, with slate roof. Ashlar dressings. Chamfered plinth,
sill band, bargeboards, gables with crosses. Windows are leaded
chamfered lancets. Nave, chancel, north porch, north and south
transepts. Bell turret. Buttressed nave, 5 bays, has to north 4
lancets and above, 3 gabled trefoiled dormers. West end has C13
style triple lancet with timber tracery and hood mould. South
side has 5 lancets and above, 3 plain dormers. Bell turret, to
west, octagonal, has patterned leaded base, pointed bell
openings, conical leaded and slated roof with weathercock.
Single bay chancel has to east, triple lancet with hood mould,
and above, a blind lancet. On each side, a trefoiled gable.
Buttressed north porch has to north a pointed doorway with hood
mould. Single bay north transept has a lancet to north. Similar
south transept has a lancet to south and above, a blind lancet.
Outside, linked ashlar steps with 4 ashlar piers with square
domed caps. Saddleback coped balustrade. Porch interior has
wooden benches, fitted wardrobe and common rafter roof. Nave has
matchboarded dado and scissor braced crown post roof. Matchboard
lining and moulded wall plate. West window has stained glass
inscribed 'To the Glory of God and in thankful remembrance of
March 19 1861'. Chancel has timber screen, with traceried panels
and rood. Roof similar to nave. East end has elaborate C14
style timber panelling with moulded crest, framing large painted
canvas panels. Above, crest and panels with painted text. 3
icons in C14 style surrounds. Vestry in north transept has no
architectural features. Organ chamber in south transept has 2
framed painted canvas panels. Fittings include octagonal font on
chamfered base, with inscribed panel. Wooden cover with flying
buttresses and cross finial. Bracketed wrought iron lectern.
Wrought iron skeleton pulpit with C20 infill panels. Altar rail
with wrought iron stands. Framed pitch pine seats with trefoiled
ends. Matching stalls with bookstands on wrought iron legs.
Memorials include Roll of Honour, 1914. Brass referring to bell,
1955. Brass inscribed 'In memory of the servants of God Jospeh
Paget of Stuffynwood Hall and Helen Elizabeth his wife builders
of this curch.' This building is reputed to have been first
erected in Stuffynwood, Derbyshire in 1861 and removed to this
site in 1881.
Listing NGR: SK5269765081
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings