This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5177 / 51°31'3"N
Longitude: -0.0889 / 0°5'19"W
OS Eastings: 532698
OS Northings: 181592
OS Grid: TQ326815
Mapcode National: GBR SB.54
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.D3VW
Entry Name: Former Fox's Umbrellas
Listing Date: 18 October 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1252059
English Heritage Legacy ID: 434984
Location: City of London, London, EC2Y
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Coleman Street
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Giles Cripplegate
Church of England Diocese: London
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 05/07/2017
TQ 3281 NE
No 118, Former Fox's Umbrellas
(Formerly listed as No 118, Fox's Umbrellas)
Terraced house with later shop. Early C19; upper floors refronted 1870s, ground floor altered 1937. Stucco upper floors in elaborate french classical manner.
Four storeys and basement. Three windows. Ground floor has rare survival of 1937 shopfront by Pollard with recessed non-reflective, curved plate glass windows (only five made). Shopfront of black Vitrolite with stainless steel grills and window surrounds. Central glazed column to window. Vitrolite band above window opening with words "Recovers" "Established 1868" and "Repairs" in stainless steel letters. Above this, a strip of four opaque glass lights, horizontally set with etched horizontal lines. Similar light and Vitrolite band with stainless steel number "118" above polished wood four-panel door. Fascia of black Vitrolite with name "Fox" in red neon tubes on stainless steel letters flanked by stainless steel relief figures of running foxes. Upper floors with enriched pilasters at angles to first and second floors; quoins to third floor. First floor stucco chanelled to appear as ashlar. First floor sashes have architraves of enriched, banded pilasters supporting entablatures and heavily enriched pediments; second and third floor sashes have shouldered architraves and enriched pediments. Main cornice at third floor level; cornice and blocking course.
Shop interior with 1937 polished wood and glass fixtures and fittings designed specifically for umbrellas and canes. Window base of diaper parquet blocks. Staircase with mirrored risers. c1870, mirrored walls to entrance and stair with applied ceramic lettering "umbrellas recovered" etc, patterned dado and light with small panes into shop. At base of stair and top of first flight, solid mahogany turned newels. Flights of second and third floors, early C19 with column newels, stick balusters and shaped handrail. First floor, originally a barber's shop, with two half-glazed doors having c1870 intricate pattern etched panels; early C19 fluted fire surround with floral enriched stops and central panel. Other floors with early C19 fireplaces, cornices and lyncrusta wallpaper.
Owned by the same family since the late C19 and until recently umbrellas were manufactured on the premises. Upper floors and basement now repair workshops.
Listing NGR: TQ3269281596
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings