History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lamb House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rye, East Sussex

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9499 / 50°56'59"N

Longitude: 0.7327 / 0°43'57"E

OS Eastings: 592048

OS Northings: 120272

OS Grid: TQ920202

Mapcode National: GBR RZ1.636

Mapcode Global: FRA D6FL.M93

Entry Name: Lamb House

Listing Date: 12 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1252151

English Heritage Legacy ID: 435064

Location: Rye, Rother, East Sussex, TN31

County: East Sussex

District: Rother

Civil Parish: Rye

Built-Up Area: Rye

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Rye

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Rye

Listing Text

1.
1578 WEST STREET
(South East Side)

Lamb House
TQ 9220 1/104 l2.10.51.

II* GV


2.
This house was built at the beginning of the C18 by James Lamb, the founder
of the family which more or less controlled Rye throughout the C18. 2
storeys. 4 windows. Red brick and grey headers on a high base of the
same materials with a moulded ridge at the top. Pilasters of red brick
and grey headers on high pedestals at the sides. Panelled parapet. Moulded
brick architraves over the windows. Large flat hood over the door supported
by carved brackets. 10-panel moulded door. To the north is a late C18
addition of 2 windows on the lst floor containing a double doorway with
large semi-circular fanlight and round-headed window on the ground floor,
also a stuccoed stringcourse. The house suffered bomb damage mainly in
the back part of the addition. Except in the north east corner the damage
to the house itself was not structural, but the single-storey building
attached to the house at the south east corner and known as the Court House
or Garden Room was entirely demolished. George I was entertained at Lamb
House in 1725 and the Duke of Cumberland in 1757. A tablet on the house
records that Henry James, Author, lived there from 1898-1916. Subsequently
E F Benson, Author, lived there for some years until his death in 1940.

Nos 1 & 2, Norman House, The Tower House, Lamb House, Nos 13 to 17 (consec)
and No1 Mermaid Street form a group.

Listing NGR: TQ9204820272

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.