History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Entrance Wing, Whitbread's Brewery (South Side)

A Grade II Listed Building in Bunhill, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5209 / 51°31'15"N

Longitude: -0.0917 / 0°5'30"W

OS Eastings: 532492

OS Northings: 181943

OS Grid: TQ324819

Mapcode National: GBR R8.KZ

Mapcode Global: VHGR0.C1CF

Entry Name: Entrance Wing, Whitbread's Brewery (South Side)

Listing Date: 7 June 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1252350

English Heritage Legacy ID: 435343

Location: City of London, London, EC1Y

County: London

District: City and County of the City of London

Electoral Ward/Division: Bunhill

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Giles Cripplegate

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
London

Listing Text

TQ3281NW
635-1/78/240

CHISWELL STREET(South side)
Entrance wing, Whitbread's Brewery (south side)

10/10/90

GV
II
Brewery buildings on Chiswell Street between the Partners' House and 53, Chiswell Street. The entrance bay probably of 1890-1, the wings to either side probably of c.1867, the attic storey to west and over entrance remodelled c.1955.

Yellow brick set in Flemish bond, stone or possibly stucco, roof obscured by parapet. Two and three storeys over basement; eighteen-window range. The Chiswell Street front has two similar wings flanking the slightly recessed entrance arch, five-window range to the west, three to the east, all three storeys over basement; and there is a longer wing to the east, with two storeys over basement and nine windows. Segmental-arched carriage entrance faced with stucco or stone, the bracketed arch with panelled soffit, console, keystone, panelled spandrels and dentil cornice. All windows flat-arched, that over the arch being tripartite with shouldered architrave, panelled mullions carrying consoles, entablature and central pediment; other windows with gauged brick heads; storey band level with cornice to arch bay, dentil cornice to the rest; attic storey with parapet, that part to west and over entrance lacking blocking course and stuccoed parapet. Stacks with oversailing courses to east range.

INTERIOR: west of the entrance arch, one room with panelling with much egg-and-dart moulding, partly C18 and partly reproduction, introduced in late C20: panelled dado, fine chimneypiece with mantelshelf on consoles in the Adam style, four doors with moulded architraves, three of them with moulded panels chamfered to an octagon, two with scrolled pediments. East of the entrance arch, the building is probably of c.1867, converted to offices in 1890-1, including a staircase hall with panelling to cornice height, architraves to doors, and staircase with ornate metal balusters.

(Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).

Listing NGR: TQ3249281943

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

TQ3281NW
635-1/78/240

CHISWELL STREET(South side)
Entrance wing, Whitbread's Brewery (south side)

10/10/90

GV
II
Brewery buildings on Chiswell Street between the Partners' House and 53, Chiswell Street. The entrance bay probably of 1890-1, the wings to either side probably of c.1867, the attic storey to west and over entrance remodelled c.1955.

Yellow brick set in Flemish bond, stone or possibly stucco, roof obscured by parapet. Two and three storeys over basement; eighteen-window range. The Chiswell Street front has two similar wings flanking the slightly recessed entrance arch, five-window range to the west, three to the east, all three storeys over basement; and there is a longer wing to the east, with two storeys over basement and nine windows. Segmental-arched carriage entrance faced with stucco or stone, the bracketed arch with panelled soffit, console, keystone, panelled spandrels and dentil cornice. All windows flat-arched, that over the arch being tripartite with shouldered architrave, panelled mullions carrying consoles, entablature and central pediment; other windows with gauged brick heads; storey band level with cornice to arch bay, dentil cornice to the rest; attic storey with parapet, that part to west and over entrance lacking blocking course and stuccoed parapet. Stacks with oversailing courses to east range.

INTERIOR: west of the entrance arch, one room with panelling with much egg-and-dart moulding, partly C18 and partly reproduction, introduced in late C20: panelled dado, fine chimneypiece with mantelshelf on consoles in the Adam style, four doors with moulded architraves, three of them with moulded panels chamfered to an octagon, two with scrolled pediments. East of the entrance arch, the building is probably of c.1867, converted to offices in 1890-1, including a staircase hall with panelling to cornice height, architraves to doors, and staircase with ornate metal balusters.

(Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).

Listing NGR: TQ3249281943

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.