History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Virginstow, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.711 / 50°42'39"N

Longitude: -4.2963 / 4°17'46"W

OS Eastings: 237973

OS Northings: 92665

OS Grid: SX379926

Mapcode National: GBR NP.4D9N

Mapcode Global: FRA 17W6.B25

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 9 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1252434

English Heritage Legacy ID: 435460

Location: Virginstow, Torridge, Devon, EX21

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Virginstow

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Virginstow

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Virginstow

Listing Text

SX 39 SE VIRGINSTOWE VIRGINSTOWE

5/71 The Old Rectory

-

- II

House, formerly Virginstowe Rectory. 1845 (Whites Directory). Stone rubble, colour-
washed and plastered with a hipped slate roof with central valley, rendered stacks.
Double depth rectangular plan with a central stair hall, principal rooms to the left,
service rooms to the right.
2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window front elevation with regular fenestration, deep
eaves and a stone plinth. Central front door with fanlight with Gothic glazing bars.
No windows to the left of the front door except for one first floor false window.
3 first floor and 2 ground floor 12-pane sashes to the right of the front door, ground
floor window right was originally false but has been glazed on the design of the
original windows. Round-headed rear stair window with margin glazing. The garden
elevation is 2-bay wide with first floor sashes and ground floor French windows with
glazing bars.
Interior Very complete with contemporary joinery, chair rails and 1 original marble
chimney piece. The central stair hall is partly panelled and has a plaster groin
vault to the front and a dog-leg stair with stick balusters and a turned newel post.
The Rectory was built for the Reverend P Cann who also helped to finance the
rebuilding of the parish church in 1851.
An attractive late Georgian house with a good stair hall.


Listing NGR: SX3797392665

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.