History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Bridget

A Grade II Listed Building in Virginstow, Devon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7111 / 50°42'39"N

Longitude: -4.3001 / 4°18'0"W

OS Eastings: 237700

OS Northings: 92687

OS Grid: SX377926

Mapcode National: GBR NN.4K9L

Mapcode Global: FRA 17W6.8KG

Entry Name: Church of St Bridget

Listing Date: 23 August 1957

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1252406

English Heritage Legacy ID: 435427

Location: Virginstow, Torridge, Devon, EX21

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Virginstow

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Virginstow

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Virginstow

Listing Text

SX 39 SE VIRGINSTOWE VIRGINSTOWE

5/70 Church of St Bridget

23.8.57

- II

Parish church. C12 font, complete rebuilding of 1851 (datestone), circa early C20
internal alterations to the chancel. Stone rubble with slate roof, freestone
dressings and rusticated quoins. Pre-archaeological lancet style with nave, chancel,
south west porch, west bell turret. The chancel has a triple lancet east window,
single lancets to the north and south sides, nave with 5 lancets to the north, 4
to the south side, with a gabled coped south west porch with chamfered 2-centred
arched outer and inner doorways. The coped gabled west end bellcote rises from the
ground at the west end in a buttress-like feature with set-offs and a pair of lancets.
Interior The 1851 features are modest, the chancel stepped up and refurbished in
the circa early C20. Plastered walls, simple chamfered chancel arch, 1851 roof of
scissor-braced trusses. 1851 south west plank door with large false strap hinges.
Set of 1851 rectangular bench ends with recessed panels, timber pulpit with pierced
trefoil-headed panels, C20 timber altar and reredos. The font is probably C12, a
simple bowl on a stem with a recut cable moulding.
The church rebuilding was partly financed by the Reverend P Cann for whom the Rectory
(qv) was built in 1845 (Whites). Although in the county of Devon Virginstowe Church
is in the Diocese of Truro.


Listing NGR: SX3770092687

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.