History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rood Ashton House

A Grade II Listed Building in West Ashton, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3033 / 51°18'12"N

Longitude: -2.1647 / 2°9'52"W

OS Eastings: 388615

OS Northings: 156036

OS Grid: ST886560

Mapcode National: GBR 1T1.CHJ

Mapcode Global: VH973.FHGQ

Entry Name: Rood Ashton House

Listing Date: 7 May 1975

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1252698

English Heritage Legacy ID: 435745

Location: West Ashton, Wiltshire, BA14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: West Ashton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: West Ashton St John

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
West Ashton

Listing Text

WEST ASHTON ROOD ASHTON PARK
ST 85 NE
(south side)
6/283 Rood Ashton House
7.5.75
GV II

Remains of country house. 1808 by Jeffry Wyattville for Richard
Godolphin Long, altered by Thomas Hopper 1836, larger part
demolished in 1970s. Limestone ashlar, concrete tiled or flat
roofs, octagonal panelled ashlar stacks. Late gothic-style. All
that remains following demolition is the north wing. Present C20
entrance on truncated south side with-buttress. West front retains
a 3-storey square corner tower to right with two stone roll-moulded
cross windows with hoodmoulds to ground, first and second floors,
octagonal corner pilasters carried up to panelled turrets linked by
battlemented parapet with moulded coping. To left is single-storey
bay with large 3-light mullioned and transomed window with
hoodmould, quatrefoil to gable over with apex stack, 2-storey bay
to left with cross windows to each floor. Rear now with C20
casements, C20 kitchen with reused windows and masonry.
Interior gutted during 1970s, all fittings brought in; some
reused.
Occupies prominent hilltop site in landscaped park, built on site
of earlier house. A new drive and tree planting in 1840, designed
by Sir John Nasmyth, lodge (not listed) by T.H. Wyatt adjacent to
Church of St John the Evangelist (q.v.) at south entrance to park.
(VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 8, 1965)


Listing NGR: ST8861556036

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.