This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.559 / 51°33'32"N
Longitude: -0.3255 / 0°19'31"W
OS Eastings: 516175
OS Northings: 185780
OS Grid: TQ161857
Mapcode National: GBR 6Z.DM1
Mapcode Global: VHGQP.92RR
Entry Name: Church of St George and Presbytery
Listing Date: 21 February 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1252751
English Heritage Legacy ID: 435855
Location: Brent, London, HA0
Electoral Ward/Division: Northwick Park
Built-Up Area: Brent
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Andrew Sudbury
Church of England Diocese: London
The following building shall be added:
TQ 1685 SUDBURY HARROW ROAD
935-/8/10011 CHURCH OF ST GEORGE and
Presbytery (no. 970)
Church with attached priest's house. 1925-8 by Leonard Williams, completed after his death in
1927 by Eustace Salisbury. Stock brick with stone dressings, the piers and much of the internal
decoration of the church also of stone. Tile roofs, tile hanging to first floor of house, the
ground floor of which is rendered.
Two-bay aisle nave with narthex under western organ gallery, and vaulted octagonal western
baptistery. Porches to north and south. Transepts, that to the north with porch and two-bay side
chapel, that to the south linked with house and giving on to sacristy in chancel south aisle. A
blocked arcade denotes the sacristy. Two-bay chancel with north chancel chapel. Flat boarded
ceiling over deep cove. The church is in the Perpendicular style, with four-pointed arches, and
windows of two or three lights and with cusping. Doors to north and south porches and north
transept with hood-moulds and dripstone blocks awaiting future carving. South porch with
statue of St George in elaborate stone niche. Four-pointed arcades with deeply-moulded circular
capitals, that abutting the sacristy blocked, but with panelled screen set against it having
three-seat sedilia, stoop and linenfold panelling. Open traceried screens of great craftsmanship
separate the north aisle chapel from the chancel and transept. The choir benches also have
cusped tracery. Panelled reredos with tester and Sarum altar with angels. Stone pulpit under
rood. North aisle chapel with altar, gilded reredos and recticulated tracery panelling behind.
The abutting house, reached through the south transept and sacristy, is of four asymmetrical
bays, and of two storeys with dormers. Single stack. All windows with mullions and leaded
lights. The porch left-of-centre has a four-centred arch leading to panelled door. Rear elevation
similar with catslide roof to left.
Listing NGR: TQ1617585780
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings