This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.557 / 51°33'25"N
Longitude: -0.3368 / 0°20'12"W
OS Eastings: 515397
OS Northings: 185545
OS Grid: TQ153855
Mapcode National: GBR 64.PR1
Mapcode Global: VHGQP.34S7
Entry Name: Sudbury Hill London Regional Transport Underground Station, and Generating Station
Listing Date: 17 May 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1254171
English Heritage Legacy ID: 437587
Location: Harrow, London, UB6
Electoral Ward/Division: North Greenford
Built-Up Area: Harrow
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Andrew Sudbury
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 18 NE SUDBURY HILL GREENFORD ROAD
1157-/4/10004 Sudbury Hill LRT
Underground Station, and
London Underground Station with flanking kiosks and rear generating station, 1931 by Charles Holden, supervised on site by Stanley Heaps. Red brick and reinforced concrete. Flat concrete roof slabs. Curved forecourt wall with open impaled roundel leads to symmetrical single-storey entrance flanked by kiosks, behind which rises square double-height ticket hall at side of tracks. Adjoining concrete bridge leads to stairs, under stepped enclosures, which descend to covered shelters on either side set back from platform and incorporating fixed seating behind glazed screens. On integral platform walls the roundels are outlined in black, with two extra roundels in stepped concrete slabs incorporating poster boards. The 'up' platform incorporates a generating station, rectangular and unfenestrated, a fine example of Holden's use of unadorned
brickwork topped with a concrete slab - and important in juxtaposition with the glazed box of the station. All windows metal casements, with horizontal glazing bars except for those to shop fronts, which are however also original. Sign, 'Sudbury Hill Station' in separate Johnston Sans letters. Ticket hall has full height glazed 3-bay panel as centrepiece of each facade, that to road with
coloured logo and legend 'UndergrounD'. Ticket hall retains fixed bench and telephone area under original sign. Exposed concrete lintels in ceiling. Original tiling to floor.
Included as the second station to be completed on the Sudbury Town model; a refinement of the prototype in a remarkably good state of preservation.
Lawrence Menear, London's Underground Stations, 1985
The Thirties Society, End of the Line, 1987
Listing NGR: TQ1539785545
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings