History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Little Creech (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Centre)

A Grade II Listed Building in West Hatch, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.9724 / 50°58'20"N

Longitude: -3.0312 / 3°1'52"W

OS Eastings: 327692

OS Northings: 119725

OS Grid: ST276197

Mapcode National: GBR M4.M1VJ

Mapcode Global: FRA 46JJ.YQG

Plus Code: 9C2RXXC9+XG

Entry Name: Little Creech (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Centre)

Listing Date: 8 August 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1253377

English Heritage Legacy ID: 436549

Location: West Hatch, Somerset West and Taunton, Somerset, TA3

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: West Hatch

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Hatch Beauchamp


ST 21 NE

8/10003 Little Creech (RSPCA

- II

Farmhouse. Circa early to mid C17; remodelled and extended in late C18 [datestone 1783]; altered
C19. Rendered stone. Asbestos slate roof with Hamstone coping to gable-ends; rear pitch clad in
concrete tiles. Axial and gable-end stacks with rebuilt brick shafts. PLAN: 3-room plan with service
rooms in the rear outshut and a cross-passage to the right of the centre room. The original house
would have had a 3-room plan with a lobby entrance in front of the axial stack between the central
hall/parlour and the kitchen on the right with its large gable-end stack. In the late C18 the house
was refenestrated, the eaves were raised, the roof rebuilt and an outshut built across the back. In the
C19 a cross-passage was inserted through the kitchen and an outshut was built at the right [east] end.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window south front, arranged 2:1. Hamstone 3-light
mullion windows with iron casements. Cross-passage doorway to right of centre with cambered arch
and panelled and glazed door. On first floor, to right of centre, a stone tablet inscribed
BI:IM:DB:1783. At the rear [north] the roof is carried down as a catslide over the outshut.
INTERIOR: Right-hand room [kitchen], reduced because of insertion of cross-passage, has
chamfered cross-beam over passage partition and very large fireplace with chamfered stone jambs,
large chamfered timber lintel with step stops, shelf on brackets, pegs above, oven and curing
chamber; blocked newel staircase beside stack. Central room [hall/parlour] has chamfered
cross-beams with cyma stops and large stone fireplace with chamfered jambs and cyma-moulded
timber lintel. The left [west] room has no exposed features. C18 tenoned-purlin roof with collars
pegged to the faces of the principals.

Listing NGR: ST2769219725

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.