This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0224 / 51°1'20"N
Longitude: -4.0982 / 4°5'53"W
OS Eastings: 252939
OS Northings: 126879
OS Grid: SS529268
Mapcode National: GBR KP.HTWP
Mapcode Global: FRA 269D.WS5
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas of Canterbury
Listing Date: 25 February 1965
Last Amended: 18 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1253508
English Heritage Legacy ID: 436741
Location: Horwood, Lovacott and Newton Tracey, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Horwood, Lovacott and Newton Tracey
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Newton Tracey St Thomas a Becket
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
NEWTON TRACEY NEWTON TRACEY
SS 52 NW
3/36 Church of St Thomas of
- Canterbury (formerly listed as Church
25.2.65 of St Thomas a Becket)
Parish church. C13 fabric to chancel and nave, the latter remodelled in C15
when the tower was added. Restored 1867-8 by R. D. Gould, when the C13 north
aisle was entirely rebuilt. Roughly coursed stone with ashlar dressings. Slate
roofs with coped gable end to chancel with kneeler gablets and apex cross. West
tower, nave, chancel and north aisle.
West tower of 3 stages, unbuttressed with embattled parapet. 4-centred arched
heads to 2-light bell-openings on each face, 1 of the lights infilled to each
side, with louvres to the other. Single semi-circular headed light with slate
louvres to east side, second stage, under continuous dripmould. Perpendicular
C15 west window of 3 trefoil-headed lights with iron stanchions and saddle bars
above round-arched west doorway with roll-cavetto moulded surround with rams
horns stops to the base of the jambs. Small shield above and crests to the
Gabled south porch with wrought iron apex cross and pointed arched inner and
outer doorways, that to inner doorway has hollow-moulded surround and pyramid
stops to the base of the jambs. Perpendicular pointed arched 3-light window to
right with hoodmould. 2 lancets to chancel south side and single lancet to north
side, rebuilt in C19. C19 3-light stepped lancet window at east end. C19 2
trefoil-headed light window to vestry east side and C19 lancets, 2 of 2 lights
and 1 single light to north aisle. 2-light lancet at west end of north aisle
with quatrefoil traceried head.
Interior: unmoulded pointed arch arcade of 2 bays with central circular pier.
C19 ceiled waggon roof to nave and single triple-roll moulded arch braced truss
to ceiled chancel roof with medieval wall plates with carved decoration. Steeply
pointed unmoulded chancel arch. C19 shoulderheaded piscina to north wall of
chancel. Some medieval Barnstaple floor tiles remain in north aisle. C19/C20
nave furnishings. C13 font of block-capital shape with stiff-leaf decoration at
the corners and cable moulding to the waist. Stained glass to east window, 1901,
and to south nave window to John Dennis of Kennacott killed Flanders 1914.
Listing NGR: SS5293926879
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings