History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fishleigh Barton Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tawstock, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0063 / 51°0'22"N

Longitude: -4.019 / 4°1'8"W

OS Eastings: 258444

OS Northings: 124934

OS Grid: SS584249

Mapcode National: GBR KS.JX9Q

Mapcode Global: FRA 26GG.B29

Entry Name: Fishleigh Barton Farmhouse

Listing Date: 25 February 1965

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1253607

English Heritage Legacy ID: 436867

Location: Tawstock, North Devon, Devon, EX37

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Tawstock

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Tawstock St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Chapelton

Listing Text

TAWSTOCK
SS 52 SE
5/51 Fishleigh Barton Farmhouse
-
25.2.65
GV II*

Barton farmhouse. Possibly C14 origins to rear connecting range, main range
probably C15, early C16 outside kitchen range. Main range remodelled 1627 by carved
date over main doorway. Rendered stone and cob. Asbestos slate roof with gable
ends. Rendered stack to right gable end, axial stack towards left end and lateral
stacks to rear of hall and to left (north) side of cross-wing, all with tapered
caps. Kitchen range has corrugated asbestos roof with axial stone rubble stack.
Complex plan. The main range essentially 3 room and former though-passage plan, the
rear doorway blocked and stairs inserted in C20, the lower end extended as a cross-
wing. This entire range, including the cross-wing, was formerly open to the roof.
The hall has been divided into 2 rooms in C20. At right angles to the main range
and enclosing the hall stack is the possible earlier range also formerly open the
roof into which the main staircase has partially been inserted. Although much
altered, N. Alcock suggests this may have been the original hall built by the first
settlers on this site. This short range connects the main range with the outside
kitchen block, parallel to the main range and extending northwards forming a 3 sided
courtyard.
Main range 2 storeys. 6 window range including cross-wing. C20 fenestration,
principally 3 light casements 8 panes per light with one 4-light casement to parlour
end. Through-passage porch, whose roof is that of the wing continued. Fine inner
doorway, straight-headed with ovolo-moulded surround, the date 1627 in relief to the
lintel and with the letters L and I above scroll stops to the base of each jamb
respectively. Original framed and ledged 3 plank door with old lock. To the south
side ground floor of the connecting range is a 4 light timber chamfered mullion
window. The kitchen range has a single 3 light timber mullion window with smaller
timber diamond mullions between to the upper storey.
Interiors
Main range Remarkably intact C17 interior features concealing the C15 origins of
this range. The majority of doorways have chamfered surrounds and scroll-stopped or
bar-stopped durns with old plank doors. That from rear of hall to stair turret is
particularly impressive with ovolo moulded surround with large scroll-stops to the
durns. Room to left of passage has chamfered axial scroll-stopped ceiling beam and
bressumer.
Chamfered fireplace lintel with cupboard to left with butterfly hinges. The hall
has one cased in beam (with moulded plasterwork cornice) to the smaller room
partitioned off from it which retains its frieze of double foliated scrollwork, the
ceiling of the main room having collapsed in late C20 exposing a roughly chamfered
ceiling beam. Straight moulded plasterwork cornices to most of the passages. The
inner room has ornamental plasterwork overmantel of 3 lozenges with end scrollwork
and paterae. Encased ceiling beam and frieze of foliated scrollwork. Fine C17 dog-
leg staircase with wide original treads moulded handrail, turned balusters and
newel-posts, the latter with small knob finials. Chamber over the hall has very
fine carved and moulded plaster ceiling with large central ball pendant from which
the geometrical ribwork radiates,the panels tipped with sprays of fruits and
foliage. Frieze with double-vine leaf and grape decoration. To south end above the
frieze is strapwork ornamentation with small head of woman to top centre. On
opposite wall is a spray with small head of man. Former fireplace to rear wall
originally had Barnstaple fleur-de-lis tiled surround, each tile marked L B and one
dated 1626. These have been removed with plans to reset them elsewhere in the
house. Beside the fireplace there is believed to be a concealed garderobe. Chamber
over inner room has coved ceiling decorated with large paterae and Tudor Roses in
bold relief moulded plasterwork overmantel with scrolled spray. Chamber to cross
wing, now subdivided, has depressed pointed segmental plaster ceiling with moulded
cornice.
Roof structure over cross-wing and part of hall only inspected. This revealed
particularly fine medieval roof structure with particularly impressive detailing to
the cross wing. The latter has 2 archbraced jointed cruck trusses, the archbraces
with chamfered soffits, with steeply cranked morticed and tenoned collars, square
set ridge purlins to Alcock type H apex and windbracing to the lower tier of butt
purlins. Intermediate slightly cranked tie-beam between the 2 trusses. At each end
of the cross wing are chamfered gavelforks, an unusual feature for North Devon. All
the roof members are thoroughly smoke-blackened. The feet of 3 jointed cruck
trusses are visible over the main range, but only 2 of the trusses over the through-
passage and lower end of hall could be examined. These had diagonally set ridge
purlin and butt purlins, all the roof members being also thoroughly smoke-blackened
suggesting the entire range including the cross wing was originally open to the
roof.
Rear Connecting Range Chamfered ceiling beams with straight cut stops to inserted
floor. The roof structure originally consisted of smoke-blackened rafters with
collars and ashlar pieces, but without purlins or ridgepiece (N Alcock) but owing to
decay only 3 of the rafter couples survive. Alcock remarks that 'In Devon this type
of roof, the typical form in S.E. England, occurs in a few early Church roofs, but
is replaced by other forms by 1400 at the latest; this is the only recorded secular
example'.
The Kitchen Range Ground floor partition removed, now large single room with short
bay behind the stack with ramp up to first floor. Massive chamfered fireplace
lintel. Roof structure of 3 trusses with short curved feet, 2 tiers of threaded
purlins and ridge purlin and slightly cambered morticed and tenoned collars. The
roof timbers to the stack side of the partition to the central truss are noticeably
smoke-blackened indicating that the floor is a later insertion.
This is an impressive complex of buildings, the plainess of the exterior belying the
variety and richness of interior detail to this very substantial medieval house.


Listing NGR: SS5844424934

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

TAWSTOCK
SS 52 SE
5/51 Fishleigh Barton Farmhouse
-
25.2.65
GV II*

Barton farmhouse. Possibly C14 origins to rear connecting range, main range
probably C15, early C16 outside kitchen range. Main range remodelled 1627 by carved
date over main doorway. Rendered stone and cob. Asbestos slate roof with gable
ends. Rendered stack to right gable end, axial stack towards left end and lateral
stacks to rear of hall and to left (north) side of cross-wing, all with tapered
caps. Kitchen range has corrugated asbestos roof with axial stone rubble stack.
Complex plan. The main range essentially 3 room and former though-passage plan, the
rear doorway blocked and stairs inserted in C20, the lower end extended as a cross-
wing. This entire range, including the cross-wing, was formerly open to the roof.
The hall has been divided into 2 rooms in C20. At right angles to the main range
and enclosing the hall stack is the possible earlier range also formerly open the
roof into which the main staircase has partially been inserted. Although much
altered, N. Alcock suggests this may have been the original hall built by the first
settlers on this site. This short range connects the main range with the outside
kitchen block, parallel to the main range and extending northwards forming a 3 sided
courtyard.
Main range 2 storeys. 6 window range including cross-wing. C20 fenestration,
principally 3 light casements 8 panes per light with one 4-light casement to parlour
end. Through-passage porch, whose roof is that of the wing continued. Fine inner
doorway, straight-headed with ovolo-moulded surround, the date 1627 in relief to the
lintel and with the letters L and I above scroll stops to the base of each jamb
respectively. Original framed and ledged 3 plank door with old lock. To the south
side ground floor of the connecting range is a 4 light timber chamfered mullion
window. The kitchen range has a single 3 light timber mullion window with smaller
timber diamond mullions between to the upper storey.
Interiors
Main range Remarkably intact C17 interior features concealing the C15 origins of
this range. The majority of doorways have chamfered surrounds and scroll-stopped or
bar-stopped durns with old plank doors. That from rear of hall to stair turret is
particularly impressive with ovolo moulded surround with large scroll-stops to the
durns. Room to left of passage has chamfered axial scroll-stopped ceiling beam and
bressumer.
Chamfered fireplace lintel with cupboard to left with butterfly hinges. The hall
has one cased in beam (with moulded plasterwork cornice) to the smaller room
partitioned off from it which retains its frieze of double foliated scrollwork, the
ceiling of the main room having collapsed in late C20 exposing a roughly chamfered
ceiling beam. Straight moulded plasterwork cornices to most of the passages. The
inner room has ornamental plasterwork overmantel of 3 lozenges with end scrollwork
and paterae. Encased ceiling beam and frieze of foliated scrollwork. Fine C17 dog-
leg staircase with wide original treads moulded handrail, turned balusters and
newel-posts, the latter with small knob finials. Chamber over the hall has very
fine carved and moulded plaster ceiling with large central ball pendant from which
the geometrical ribwork radiates,the panels tipped with sprays of fruits and
foliage. Frieze with double-vine leaf and grape decoration. To south end above the
frieze is strapwork ornamentation with small head of woman to top centre. On
opposite wall is a spray with small head of man. Former fireplace to rear wall
originally had Barnstaple fleur-de-lis tiled surround, each tile marked L B and one
dated 1626. These have been removed with plans to reset them elsewhere in the
house. Beside the fireplace there is believed to be a concealed garderobe. Chamber
over inner room has coved ceiling decorated with large paterae and Tudor Roses in
bold relief moulded plasterwork overmantel with scrolled spray. Chamber to cross
wing, now subdivided, has depressed pointed segmental plaster ceiling with moulded
cornice.
Roof structure over cross-wing and part of hall only inspected. This revealed
particularly fine medieval roof structure with particularly impressive detailing to
the cross wing. The latter has 2 archbraced jointed cruck trusses, the archbraces
with chamfered soffits, with steeply cranked morticed and tenoned collars, square
set ridge purlins to Alcock type H apex and windbracing to the lower tier of butt
purlins. Intermediate slightly cranked tie-beam between the 2 trusses. At each end
of the cross wing are chamfered gavelforks, an unusual feature for North Devon. All
the roof members are thoroughly smoke-blackened. The feet of 3 jointed cruck
trusses are visible over the main range, but only 2 of the trusses over the through-
passage and lower end of hall could be examined. These had diagonally set ridge
purlin and butt purlins, all the roof members being also thoroughly smoke-blackened
suggesting the entire range including the cross wing was originally open to the
roof.
Rear Connecting Range Chamfered ceiling beams with straight cut stops to inserted
floor. The roof structure originally consisted of smoke-blackened rafters with
collars and ashlar pieces, but without purlins or ridgepiece (N Alcock) but owing to
decay only 3 of the rafter couples survive. Alcock remarks that 'In Devon this type
of roof, the typical form in S.E. England, occurs in a few early Church roofs, but
is replaced by other forms by 1400 at the latest; this is the only recorded secular
example'.
The Kitchen Range Ground floor partition removed, now large single room with short
bay behind the stack with ramp up to first floor. Massive chamfered fireplace
lintel. Roof structure of 3 trusses with short curved feet, 2 tiers of threaded
purlins and ridge purlin and slightly cambered morticed and tenoned collars. The
roof timbers to the stack side of the partition to the central truss are noticeably
smoke-blackened indicating that the floor is a later insertion.
This is an impressive complex of buildings, the plainess of the exterior belying the
variety and richness of interior detail to this very substantial medieval house.


Listing NGR: SS5844424934

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.