History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

119 and 121, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Needham Market, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1554 / 52°9'19"N

Longitude: 1.0499 / 1°2'59"E

OS Eastings: 608728

OS Northings: 255182

OS Grid: TM087551

Mapcode National: GBR TLD.VMP

Mapcode Global: VHLBC.42WZ

Entry Name: 119 and 121, High Street

Listing Date: 19 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1253665

English Heritage Legacy ID: 436930

Location: Needham Market, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Needham Market

Built-Up Area: Needham Market

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Needham Market with Badley St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Ringshall

Listing Text

NEEDHAM MARKET HIGH STREET (WEST)
TM 0855

3/98 Nos. 119 and 121
II

House, and shop with dwelling to rear. The front range probably of C17 or
C18; 2 rear ranges of early C17 or earlier. C19 and C20 alterations. 2
storeys. Timber-framed and plastered. Concrete pantiled roof at front,
plaintiled at rear. 3 internal chimneys of red brick. No.121 has a C19
splayed flat-roofed shop window on console brackets and a 4-panelled entrance
door. No.119 has a 4-panelled door and flanking bay shop window with large
panes and C19 sashes at upper storey. To rear of No.121 is a 2 storey wing of
early C17 or earlier. To rear of No.119 is a further 2-storey wing of late
C16 or early C17, detached until C19; the ground storey walling is of painted
brick and the upper storey timber-framed and plastered, long-wall jettied
along the north side. Concrete pantiled roof. The upper storey of this wing
has a C18 moulded cornice; it was used for the holding of Petty Sessions
during C19. From at least 1720 and through the C19, Nos.119 and 121 High
Street were known as The George Inn.


Listing NGR: TM0872855182

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.