This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1553 / 52°9'19"N
Longitude: 1.05 / 1°3'0"E
OS Eastings: 608738
OS Northings: 255167
OS Grid: TM087551
Mapcode National: GBR TLD.VP1
Mapcode Global: VHLBC.43Y2
Entry Name: Tudor House
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1253664
English Heritage Legacy ID: 436928
Location: Needham Market, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Needham Market
Built-Up Area: Needham Market
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Needham Market with Badley St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
NEEDHAM MARKET HIGH STREET (WEST)
3/96 No.111 (Tudor House) and
Two houses and a shop, built as one Wealden type house in late C15.
Alterations of several dates from c.1500 to c.1850. 2 storeys. Timber-framed:
No.111 encased in painted mid C19 brick, No.113 plastered. Plaintiled roof
with massive C16 chimney of red brick behind main range. Mid C19 small-pane
sashes with flat arches of gauged brick, and 4-panelled entrance door with
oblong fanlight. A further plank door of perhaps C16 marks the cross-passage
position, within the service end. The single-bay open hall to left was
entered via a spere whose posts and braces are removed; above the sperebeam is
a closed truss with tension-braced studwork. Both end cells have heavy
exposed floor joists. An original 4-centred arched doorway from hall to
parlour. Plain crownpost roof without smoke-blackening, indicating that this
late open hall never had an open hearth. A large open fireplace in the hall
has a cambered lintel bearing a small incised merchant mark of Thomas Aldous
(married 1536); the later inserted floor over the hall has roll-moulded joists
of mid C16 type. A nether parlour in an added rear wing is mentioned in the
will of 1500 of John Flegg. It has a plank and muntin screen and moulded main
beams. Further extensions to rear at both ends of early C16, have plain
crownpost roofs, and long-wall jettied upper floors. Various alterations to
the left-hand rear wing of c.1600 include: a staircase with turned balusters,
oak wainscotting in the nether parlour and chamber above, and extensive
rebuilding of ground storey walling in red brick with 4-centred arched
doorways and a bay window on a moulded plinth with wooden ovolo mullions and
transomes. A History of Needham Market: Hugh Paget C.B.E., 1984. Suffolk
Houses: E. Sandon, 1977.
Listing NGR: TM0873855167
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings