History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

United Reformed Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Needham Market, Suffolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1534 / 52°9'12"N

Longitude: 1.0526 / 1°3'9"E

OS Eastings: 608922

OS Northings: 254960

OS Grid: TM089549

Mapcode National: GBR TLD.WFZ

Mapcode Global: VHLBC.649K

Entry Name: United Reformed Church

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Last Amended: 19 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1253671

English Heritage Legacy ID: 436941

Location: Needham Market, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Needham Market

Built-Up Area: Needham Market

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Needham Market with Badley St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Coddenham

Listing Text

NEEDHAM MARKET HIGH STREET (EAST)
TM 0854

3/109 United Reformed Church
(formerly listed as
9.12.55 Congregational Chapel)

- II

Church, built as a Congregational Chapel in 1837. In the Greek Revival Style.
Gable front. Gault brick facade with dressings of limestone. The side walls
are of red brick. Slated roof. 2 storeys, 5 windows. A central portico in
antis has Ionic Columns supporting a simple cornice and a string at 1st floor
level. Above is a slight set-forward 3 bays wide. A full-width gable
pediment has moulded limestone copings and a central oeil-de-boeuf window,
stone framed. The 1st storey windows to the balcony are of strongly Vitruvian
form with a cornice above each; leaded stained glass in the Art Nouveau style.
Entrance doorways flank the portico, with broad paired flat pilasters and deep
cornice, a pair of 3-panelled doors with oblong fanlight. Further similar
doors within the portico. The facade returns for one bay only. A short
timber-framed range to rear has a steeply-pitched plaintiled roof and may be a
fragment of the earlier chapel on this site, built in 1716 and enlarged 1818.
In 1755, the Rev. Joseph Priestly, discoverer of oxygen, was appointed
Minister here.


Listing NGR: TM0892254960

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.