History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Numbers 40 (Parsons), 40a, 42 and 44 Including Attached Outbuildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Needham Market, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1535 / 52°9'12"N

Longitude: 1.0522 / 1°3'7"E

OS Eastings: 608896

OS Northings: 254973

OS Grid: TM088549

Mapcode National: GBR TLD.WB1

Mapcode Global: VHLBC.643G

Entry Name: Numbers 40 (Parsons), 40a, 42 and 44 Including Attached Outbuildings

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1254139

English Heritage Legacy ID: 436942

Location: Needham Market, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Needham Market

Built-Up Area: Needham Market

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Needham Market with Badley St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Coddenham

Listing Text

NEEDHAM MARKET HIGH STREET (EAST)
TM 0854E

3/110 Nos.40 (Parsons), 40a, 42
and 44 including attached
9.12.55 outbuildings (formerly
listed as Nos.40 and 42)

- II

Shop and 3 houses with outbuildings. C16 core with major alterations of
c.1600 and mid C19. 2 storeys. 3-cell lobby-entrance plan from c.1600, with
extended service and parlour ranges. Timber-framed and rough-cast.
Plaintiled roofs with axial chimneys of red brick. Mid C19 sash windows with
large panes. The main entrance doorway is that now used by No.42: eared
architrave, moulded and with a dentilled cornice in the C18 manner, with mid
C19 4-panelled door. The shop has a C19 glazed panelled door and flanking
windows. The front range is mainly of c.1600, but the parlour cell to left is
a remodelling of a lower C16 building from which fragments of a crown-post
roof and a complete blocked diamond-mullioned window survive. A narrow C16
wing to rear right is long-wall jettied into the courtyard (the jetty is
concealed by C19 alterations). Parallel to the front range is a C16 building
of 5 bays, in poor condition and much altered in mid C19, but of interest
because of its connection with the malting industry. It was certainly in use
for malting in C19 and possibly was designed for this purpose; fragmentary
crown-post roof and good arch-braced close studwork; the building was encased
in flint with red brick dressings and virtually reroofed in C19. To rear of
the parlour cell, a wing was added c.1600, enclosing the 4th side of the
courtyard. It has good ovolo-moulded framing and heavy wind-braced butt-
purlin roof. At 1st storey is an unusual doorcase with an enriched frieze,
console brackets and Ionic pilasters of possibly c.1600, but perhaps
reassembled from another feature such as an overmantel. Good C18 parlour
corner cupboard.


Listing NGR: TM0889654973

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.