History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

First Church of Christ Scientist

A Grade II Listed Building in Bromley, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4063 / 51°24'22"N

Longitude: 0.02 / 0°1'12"E

OS Eastings: 540595

OS Northings: 169408

OS Grid: TQ405694

Mapcode National: GBR M1.3QV

Mapcode Global: VHHNX.9XFB

Entry Name: First Church of Christ Scientist

Listing Date: 22 January 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1253930

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358653

Location: Bromley, London, BR1

County: London

District: Bromley

Electoral Ward/Division: Bromley Town

Built-Up Area: Bromley

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Bromley St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Chislehurst

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:

BROMLEY WIDMORE ROAD
TQ 46 NW
5/506 First Church of Christ
Scientist
II

Christian Science Church. 1928 by E Braxton Sinclair in an inventive Neo-
Classical style with brickwork and doors reminiscent of Art-Deco cinemas. The
projected Sunday school was not built to the original design and is a 1961
building not of special interest. Built on steel frame clad in brown brick with
red brick dressings. Chamfered square tall central hall with large central
entrance and lower service rooms around. Central hall has 2 parapets, the lower
with cornice with stone coping. Giant pilasters separate window bays. 3 metal
casements to each front incorporating stylized pilasters in the design. Large
brick portico has 4 rusticated brick columns in antis with cornice and stone
tablet with inscription 'FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST SCIENTIST BROMLEY KENT'. 3
double lined oak doors with fluted wooden pilasters and iron grilles with wave
pattern. Rear elevation has tall projection flanked by octagonal windows. 1
storey brick offices on all faces. Rainwater heads with rose pattern dated
1928. Interior has oval foyer with semicircular roof lights and oak doors and
Hepton wood stone floors and auditorium with oak pews and platform with panelled
pilastered rear wall of 2 tapering fluted oak reading desks. Above this is a
pilastered feature with decorative metal grille. Original hanging lamps. Ceil-
ing divided into small compartments with a heavy cornice and same Art-Deco
inspired grille work. [See The Building 8 May 1927.]


Listing NGR: TQ4059569408

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.