History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mount Sion Methodist Church and House Attached

A Grade II* Listed Building in Illingworth and Mixenden, Calderdale

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7636 / 53°45'48"N

Longitude: -1.8984 / 1°53'54"W

OS Eastings: 406795

OS Northings: 429694

OS Grid: SE067296

Mapcode National: GBR HS5X.SL

Mapcode Global: WHB88.TN6N

Entry Name: Mount Sion Methodist Church and House Attached

Listing Date: 23 November 1973

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1254018

English Heritage Legacy ID: 437335

Location: Calderdale, HX2

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Illingworth and Mixenden

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Bradshaw St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Thornton

Listing Text

SE 02 NE
679/4/334
23.11.73

PER LANE
(North side)
Mount Sion Methodist Church And House Attached

II*

Chapel and attached house. 1773, chapel rebuilt 1815, interior refitted c1870. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings and stone slate roofs with coped gables with moulded kneelers. 2 stone stacks and metal ventilator. Chapel has main south front with 2 round arched windows with margin light glazing flanked by single round arched doorways with impost blocks and keystones, each with a plank door and partly boarded fanlight. Central vesica shaped plaque inscribed "This chapel was rebuilt in the year 1815". Above a reset sundial dated 1773 and inscribed "Mount Sion". Above 4 further round arched windows with margin light glazing. East elevation has 2 round arched windows with margin light glazing to each floor, above a central semi-circular window with keystone and similar glazing. North elevation has large semi-circular apse flanked by single flat-headed windows with similar margin light glazing to each floor. Apse has single small window to ground floor and above 2 round headed windows with margin light glazing and keystones. INTERIOR has fine quality Victorian fittings including galleries on 3 sides supported on cast iron columns. Elaborate central reading desk with right staircase with cast iron balustrade. Behind choir gallery and organ in semi-circular apse topped with the date 1773. Minister's house to west, 2 storey with render side and rear. Quoins. South front has projecting gabled porch to left and single 5-light ashlar mullion window and above single similar 5-light window. West gable elevation has single small fixed light and upper 2-light casement. North front has doorway to right with ashlar surround and 5-light mullion window to left. Above a 3-light and a 2-light mullion window.

Listing NGR: SE0679529694

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

SE 02 NE
679/4/334
23.11.73

PER LANE
(North side)
Mount Sion Methodist Church And House Attached

II*

Chapel and attached house. 1773, chapel rebuilt 1815, interior refitted c1870. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings and stone slate roofs with coped gables with moulded kneelers. 2 stone stacks and metal ventilator. Chapel has main south front with 2 round arched windows with margin light glazing flanked by single round arched doorways with impost blocks and keystones, each with a plank door and partly boarded fanlight. Central vesica shaped plaque inscribed "This chapel was rebuilt in the year 1815". Above a reset sundial dated 1773 and inscribed "Mount Sion". Above 4 further round arched windows with margin light glazing. East elevation has 2 round arched windows with margin light glazing to each floor, above a central semi-circular window with keystone and similar glazing. North elevation has large semi-circular apse flanked by single flat-headed windows with similar margin light glazing to each floor. Apse has single small window to ground floor and above 2 round headed windows with margin light glazing and keystones. INTERIOR has fine quality Victorian fittings including galleries on 3 sides supported on cast iron columns. Elaborate central reading desk with right staircase with cast iron balustrade. Behind choir gallery and organ in semi-circular apse topped with the date 1773. Minister's house to west, 2 storey with render side and rear. Quoins. South front has projecting gabled porch to left and single 5-light ashlar mullion window and above single similar 5-light window. West gable elevation has single small fixed light and upper 2-light casement. North front has doorway to right with ashlar surround and 5-light mullion window to left. Above a 3-light and a 2-light mullion window.

Listing NGR: SE0679529694

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.