History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gates and Gate Lodges to College Hall at RAF Cranwell

A Grade II Listed Building in Sleaford, Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0351 / 53°2'6"N

Longitude: -0.5101 / 0°30'36"W

OS Eastings: 500004

OS Northings: 349685

OS Grid: TF000496

Mapcode National: GBR FQ2.PW3

Mapcode Global: WHGJZ.4ZC3

Plus Code: 9C5X2FPQ+2X

Entry Name: Gates and Gate Lodges to College Hall at RAF Cranwell

Listing Date: 7 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1254080

English Heritage Legacy ID: 437449

Location: Cranwell, Brauncewell and Byard's Leap, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG34

County: Lincolnshire

District: North Kesteven

Civil Parish: Cranwell, Brauncewell and Byard's Leap

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Cranwell St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Cranwell

Listing Text

CRANWELL AND CRANWELL AVENUE
TF 04 NW and BYARD'S LEAP (north side)
SK 94 NE
6/18 and 7/18 Gates and Gate Lodges to
College Hall at RAF
Cranwell
GV II
Gates, gate lodges, gate piers and railings. 1933. Designed by Sir J M West.
Red brick with Portland stone dressings, and iron gates and railings. Central
pair of gates, segment headed, with the RAF insignia and ornate iron overthrow.
Flanked by a pair of square brick piers, with ashlar bases and moulded tops,
surmounted by hexagonal lamps. Either side are single iron gates, and then
single gate lodges. Each lodge is single storey, with pilaster strips at the
corners with ashlar bases and linked by an ashlar plinth, and moulded ashlar
capitals linked by an ashlar moulded band, with above an ashlar moulded cornice.
The south fronts have single glazing bar sashes with flat brick heads, the inner
east and west fronts have single half glazed doors, and above circular panels
dated 1933 and above again open ashlar pediments. Beyond again are curved
sections of railings which terminate at square brick piers, with ashlar bases
and moulded tops, surmounted by hexagonal lamps. The railings then continue
approximately 100 metres to east and west, finally terminating in square brick
piers, with ashlar bases and moulded tops, surmounted by hexagonal lamps. At
the eastern end the railings continue for 5 metres to the north and are termi-
nated by a similar, shorter brick pier. Close to the east and west piers are
sets of false gates, which bear plaques inscribed "This and the western avenue
of lime trees were presented by the Right Honourable, Sir Samuel Hoare.
Secretary of State for Air. 1922-24 and 24-29".


Listing NGR: TF0000349687

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.