History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James and St John

A Grade I Listed Building in Dorrington, Lincolnshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0668 / 53°4'0"N

Longitude: -0.3953 / 0°23'43"W

OS Eastings: 507621

OS Northings: 353375

OS Grid: TF076533

Mapcode National: GBR GR5.NW5

Mapcode Global: WHGK0.W5YR

Plus Code: 9C5X3J83+PV

Entry Name: Church of St James and St John

Listing Date: 1 February 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1254085

English Heritage Legacy ID: 437460

Location: Dorrington, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, LN4

County: Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Dorrington

Built-Up Area: Dorrington

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Dorrington St James

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Ashby de la Launde

Description

DORRINGTON LINCOLN ROAD
TF 05 SE (east side)
4/29
Church of St James and
1.2.67 St John
- I
Parish church. C13, C14, C15 restored C19. Coursed limestone rubble and ashlar
with ashlar dressings. Slate and plain tile roofs. Ashlar coped gables with
kneelers. West tower, nave, aisles, south porch chancel and vestry. Ashlar,
3 stage western tower has deeply moulded plinth, second stage band, moulded
cornice with central gargoyle and coped parapet, plus full height angle
buttresses. South face, first stage blank, second stage has flat headed
chamfered lancet, third stage has a 2 light reticulated tracery bell opening,
in a pointed and moulded, double chamfered arch. To the western corner is an
in-built stair turret with 2 small lancets. West face, first stage, has single
pointed lancet in double chamfered surround, with a small pointed niche above.
Second stage is blank. Third stage has similar bell openings. North face,
first and second stages are blank, the third has another bell opening. East
face has a bell opening at the third stage. The north aisle has a chamfered
plinth and quoins, and the west wall is blank, the north wall has to the right
a doorway with plank door in a chamfered segment headed surround with moulded
impost blocks. To the left a 2 light panel tracery, in a shallow pointed deeply
chamfered surround. The east wall has a 2 light, cusped, intersecting tracery
window, in a pointed deeply chamfered surround. The clerestory, which is the
same on the north and the south, has 3, 3 light windows with a central higher
light in shallow pointed and chamfered surrounds, with hoods and above a plain
coped parapet, which extends over the eastern gable and is topped with a cross
finial. The chancel has a chamfered plinth. The north wall has a chamfered
lancet with hood to the right, and from the centre projects a C19 vestry with
ashlar coped gable with moulded kneelers and a large gable stack, corbelled
out twice on sets of 3 corbels, plus 2 cusped and chamfered lancets. The east
wall has gabled angle buttresses with curved figures adorning the gables, and
ogee cups above. The east window has a 3 light reticulated tracery window,
with applied roll moulding, in a ogee topped surround with a finial. Above
are 2 lengths of a frieze or tympanum of the Last Judgement, the left piece
shows figures climbing out of their graves, and the right the mouth of hell.
Above again a small vacant niche. The south wall has a central priest's door
in a segment headed, chamfered surround. To the right a single chamfered lancet
with hood, then beyond a small 2 light flat headed window in a chamfered
surround. The south aisle east wall has a single 3 light panel tracery window
in a chamfered surround with a segment head. The south wall has gabled angle
buttresses and to the right another 3 light panel tracery window in a chamfered
surround with segment head. The porch has ashlar coped gables with kneelers,
and a cross finial, the pointed arched opening has a chamfered arch, with moulded
hood and octagonal shaft responds with moulded bases and capitals. Stone
benches. The inner doorway has double plank doors, in a pointed and moulded
double chamfered arch with hood. The south aisle west wall has a single ogee
headed chamfered lancet. Interior: 2 bay double chamfered nave arcades, with
to the south, an octagonal pier and responds, and to the north a quatrefoil
shafted pier decorated with dogtooth and keeled shafted responds, all with
moulded bases and capitals. The tower arch, is double chamfered with inner
keeled responds and outer shafts, to the left stiff leaf capitals and to the
right moulded ones. Above the former roof line is visible. The chancel arch,
is double chamfered with moulded bases and capitals and a hood. 2 ornate ogee
headed niches flank the east window. The south aisle has a chamfered, and
pointed arched piscina and an ornate niche to the right of the east window.
C19 circular, bowl and stem ashlar font. C19 wooden roofs, benches, altar rail
and pulpit. Choir stalls and mostly C19 with some C15 bench ends.
MONUMENTS: North aisle has a fine, large marble wall monument with fluted
Corinthian pilasters, supported on brackets, with an open segmental pediment
above and scroll sides. To Anthony Oldfield and his wife Elizabella, and their
4 daughters MARY, ELIZABETH, LUCY and MARGRET. Erected by Lucy Oldfield 1715.
Chancel has a stone wall tablet with fluted Doric pilasters and pediment to
John and Lucy Todkill, 1740. A very unusual stone tablet to Gilby Todkill 1756
and another equally unusual to Eleanor Todkill 1787. Stone wall tablet with
pediment to William Thacker 1788 made by John Bourn of Sleaford. Marble wall
tablet, now incomplete, to Elizabeth Groundman 1708. Bronze plaque to those
who died in the first World War. 3 other C19 tablets to John Todkill 1806,
Mary Kaye 1837 and Elizabeth Farmer 1847. Brass plate to Charles Clarke 1915.


Listing NGR: TF0761953377

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.