History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Grange

A Grade II Listed Building in Upton Scudamore, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2286 / 51°13'42"N

Longitude: -2.1965 / 2°11'47"W

OS Eastings: 386376

OS Northings: 147727

OS Grid: ST863477

Mapcode National: GBR 1TS.X3B

Mapcode Global: VH97G.WD51

Plus Code: 9C3V6RH3+CC

Entry Name: The Grange

Listing Date: 15 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1254276

English Heritage Legacy ID: 437717

Location: Upton Scudamore, Wiltshire, BA12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Upton Scudamore

Built-Up Area: Upton Scudamore

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Upton Scudamore St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Dilton

Description

UPTON SCUDAMORE
ST 84 NE
8/221 UPTON SCUDAMORE VILLAGE
The Grange
GV II
House. Early C18 with additions of early-mid C18 and of 1747 (datestone);
altered mid C20 and renovated 1981. Rubblestone, rendered at front, with
brick and stone dressings. Plain tile roofs. 2 storey, 3-bay house,
formerly with entrance between left-hand bays having external rear-wall stack;
2 slightly-recessed, single-storey bays added to left and early-mid C18, these
rebuilt 1981 with brick end wall and the right-hand bay raised to 2 storeys;
2-storey bay added to right end 1747. Main 4-bay range: right end has
rusticated quoins, removed above 1st-floor sill level; entrance to bay 3
masked by 1981 gabled porch; ovolo-moulded mullion windows with dripmoulds, of
2 lights to left bay and above door, of 3 lights to bay 2, and a 1981 2-light
chamfered mullion window to bay 4; roof hipped with stacks to rear between
bays 1 and 2 and to right bay. Left-hand addition; 2-light flat-faced mullion
windows with chamfered lintels and dripmoulds, the left bay with a stable
door; stack between bays. Rear: mostly unrendered of rubblestone with brick
quoins indicating different builds and a few stone quoins at right end of main
range; main features are the two external stacks, offset at eaves level, the
right-hand one very wide, both with brick quoins; windows are C20 casements or
sashes, some having brick jambs, with wood or cement lintels. Right return:
rusticated quoins; 1981 UPVC windows replacing sashes with glazing bars
(photograph) those on 1st floor flanking datestone "WBA 1747".
Interior: on ground floor, large-scantling chamfered beans; large-scantling
bressumer to inglenook; angled corner fireplace in room adjoining that with
inglenook having stepped stone surround; roof has collared principal rafter
roof trusses with threaded through purlins and intermediate collared rafter
trusses.


Listing NGR: ST8637647726

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.