History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Ancient House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Needham Market, Suffolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.156 / 52°9'21"N

Longitude: 1.0509 / 1°3'3"E

OS Eastings: 608797

OS Northings: 255250

OS Grid: TM087552

Mapcode National: GBR TLD.VXJ

Mapcode Global: VHLBC.52FJ

Entry Name: The Ancient House

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1254336

English Heritage Legacy ID: 436966

Location: Needham Market, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Needham Market

Built-Up Area: Needham Market

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Needham Market with Badley St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Coddenham

Listing Text

NEEDHAM MARKET KING WILLIAM STREET
TM 0855

3/134 Nos. 1 and 3, The Ancient
- House
9.12.55
- II*

Two houses, built as one substantial house in late C14 or early C15. (The date
1480 in right-hand gable is spurious). A central open hall with two cross-
wings. Two storeys; one cross-wing has an attic. Timber-framed and roughcast
with much exposed and painted oak framing, augmented with early C20 false
half-timbering. The solar cross-wing at the corner of Hawksmill Street is
jettied on 2 sides, with broad knees, supporting alternate exposed joist ends
and a moulded bressumer. At the corner is a massive post with a moulded and
embattled capital. At the upper storey is very closely-spaced studwork. The
service wing to right is end-jettied at the front and has widely-spaced
tension-braced studwork. Plaintiled roofs with early C20 chimneys of red
brick. Early C20 mullioned and transomed casements. Boarded entrance doors.
The 2-bay open hall has a central truss with massive moulded arch braces to
the cambered tie-beam; the octagonal crownpost has a moulded capital and heavy
2-way braces (the post was designed to have lateral braces, but seems never to
have received them). Heavy smoke-encrustation. Both cross-wings also have
complete crown post roofs; the solar roof has an octagonal post at the open
truss with a responding pilaster at the rear wall. Studwork has prolific
tension-bracing throughout, but is closely spaced in the solar wing only.
Twin service room doorways with steep 2-centred arched heads; similar doorways
in the rear wall of the solar wing indicate an outside stair in the position
of the C20 one. A fragmentary rear hall window has evidence for traceried
lights below a transome. In early or mid C16, an upper floor was inserted
into the hall with heavily moulded main beams and joists. In 1476 the house
was known as Poundizend, the property of John Flegg, and in 1523 was occupied
by John Gardiner (both were wealthy clothiers).


Listing NGR: TM0879755250

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.