This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1562 / 52°9'22"N
Longitude: 1.0499 / 1°2'59"E
OS Eastings: 608725
OS Northings: 255262
OS Grid: TM087552
Mapcode National: GBR TLD.VMF
Mapcode Global: VHLBC.42WD
Entry Name: Numbers 110 (Lamps) with Outbuildings Attached to Rear and Number 112
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1261378
English Heritage Legacy ID: 436959
Location: Needham Market, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Needham Market
Built-Up Area: Needham Market
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Needham Market with Badley St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
NEEDHAM MARKET HIGH STREET (EAST)
3/127 Nos. 110 (Lamps) with
outbuildings attached to
9.12.55 rear and No. 112 (Formerly
included No 1 Hawksmill St)
Two houses and an antique shop. Built early or mid C16 as one house (perhaps
incorporating a shop), of 3-cell cross-passage entrance plan, with 2 near-
contemporary ranges to rear. 2 storeys. Timber-framed, encased in mid C19
red brick at front, and pebble-dashed along the return elevation to Hawksmill
Street. The first floor was originally long-wall jettied towards the High
Street. Hipped plaintiled roof with massive axial C16 or early C17 chimney of
red brick. Mid C19 windows with flat arches and small-pane sashes (No.112 has
C20 casements in C19 openings). No.110 has a 6-panelled entrance door, the
lower panels fielded, the upper pair glazed; blank semi-circular fanlight.
(No.112 has a 6-panelled door of c.1980 in C19 opening). A well-built and
quite complete example of an early C16 house. The hall, of two-and-a-half
bays, has a fine exposed 1st floor structure with roll-moulded main beams also
with fluted soffits; the binding joist at the chimney bay is also embattled.
Crown-post roof, the plain square posts having 2-way plank braces. The
parlour cell was roofed as a cross-wing with coupled-rafter roof (remodelled
C17/C18). The narrow range to Hawksmill Street (now of 3 bays, but truncated)
is probably original. Some blocked diamond-mullioned windows in both ranges.
A mediaeval outbuilding was detached behind No.110 until linked by a C19
extension. Late C15 or early C16. Of one bay only, and still without an
upper floor. Good quality arch-braced studwork and complete coupled-rafter
roof. Slight smoke-blackening from an open hearth, and a blocked mullioned
window high in one gable.
Listing NGR: TM0872555262
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings