History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hoards Park Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Astley Abbotts, Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.549 / 52°32'56"N

Longitude: -2.4215 / 2°25'17"W

OS Eastings: 371515

OS Northings: 294652

OS Grid: SO715946

Mapcode National: GBR BZ.DDL7

Mapcode Global: VH83H.Z669

Entry Name: Hoards Park Farmhouse

Listing Date: 8 June 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1254340

English Heritage Legacy ID: 437809

Location: Astley Abbotts, Shropshire, WV16

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Astley Abbotts

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Astley Abbotts

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Bridgnorth

Listing Text

The following buildings shall be added to the list:-

SO 79 SW ASTLEY ABBOTS B4373

22/10026 Hoards Park Farmhouse

GV II


Farmhouse. Circa early to mid C16; remodelled circa mid to late C17; extended and altered in 1875.
Timber-framed, largely rebuilt in brick of English bond and English garden wall bond, partly
rendered; attic timber-framed with herring-bone pattern panels. Plain clay tile roofs with
stone-coped gable ends and moulded shaped and pierced bargeboards. Huge axial, lateral and
gable-end stacks with multiple brick shafts, some diagonally set. PLAN: Long building on N-S axis.
The original building was timber-framed and at the south end the cross-wing was jettied on three
sides, but it is uncertain whether the main range had an open hall or was two-storeyed, the large
lateral stack on the east side might be original or a later C16 insertion; the N.W. wing was possibly
also timber-framed and has a large gable-end stack. In circa mid to late C17 the timber-frame was
clad in brick, the building was lengthened at the north end with a narrow outshut on the east side
and a long attic storey was added the full length of the building; the attic is open throughout and
without partitions, only interrupted by a large axial stack near the north end; this produced an
unusual composition of tiers of integral lean-tos on the east and west sides and an imposing north
gable end with a large stone mullion window to each storey. In 1875 the N.W. wing was clad in
brick and a further wing was built to the S.E. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. Asymmetrical 1:2:1
bay west front with projecting gable-ended wings to left and right; centre two bays have late C19
3 and 4-light wooden mullion windows, with transoms on ground floor; doorway on right of centre
with late C19 open porch with lean-to roof Timber-framed attic storey set back on roof with small
timber-framed gable on left of centre. At rear [east] two tiers of integral brick lean-tos stepped back
to timber-framed attic storey above, the ground and first floors have 2 and 3-light stone mullion
windows and at the centre there is a very large projecting lateral brick stack with four rebuilt brick
shafts; to the left of stack a late C19 wooden lattice porch and on extreme right the late C19 wing
with shield in gable inscribed "Restored 1875" and with the initials of Foster; left [south] return, 3
bays, centre gabled. The north gable end is unaltered and has ends of lean-tos to left and right, the
right in one tier, the left in two tiers, with stone coping and kneelers; 3-light stone mullion window
on each floor with hoodmoulds, first floor with transom and small blocked single-light window on
the right. INTERIOR. Entrance hall has encaustic tile floor of circa 1875, probably Maws tiles.
Staircase of circa 1875. Room in south cross-wing with roll-and-hollow moulded ceiling beams and
dragon-beam and dado, probably of C17 reused panelling and painted Gothic chimneypiece.
Another room also has Gothic stone chimneypiece. Kitchen, probably site of hall, has very large
blocked fireplace with elliptical arch and round-arched opening to left, now a cupboard but probably
originally a smoking chamber. Washroom, in N.W. wing, has heavy ceiling beams and large open
fireplace


Listing NGR: SO7151594652

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.