This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5461 / 52°32'46"N
Longitude: -2.4088 / 2°24'31"W
OS Eastings: 372377
OS Northings: 294332
OS Grid: SO723943
Mapcode National: GBR BZ.DPQJ
Mapcode Global: VH90Z.68FG
Entry Name: Fort Pendlestone Including Sluice and Leat Bridge to North
Listing Date: 17 June 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268454
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461803
Location: Bridgnorth, Shropshire, WV15
Civil Parish: Bridgnorth
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Bridgnorth
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
A442 (WEST SIDE)
Fort Pendlestone including sluice and leat bridge to north
Textile mill. Formerly ‘Pendlestone Mills’. Built circa 1845, for Thomas C. Whitmore of Apley Hall; engine-house and boiler-house added in 1866 and with some C20 additions and alterations. Red sandstone ashlar. Plain tile roofs with parapeted gable ends with saddle-back coping; factory range has flat roof with lantern lights.
PLAN: Eight-bay factory with its water-mill house attached to the north end and with a warehouse at right-angles to the south-east forming L-shaped plan. In 1866 a boiler-house was added to the south side of the warehouse and an engine-house was built to the south of the factory range. To the east of the factory range is the detached managers house and office, which has been extended to the south. To the north is the sluice and a bridge over the leat. Tudor Gothic style.
EXTERIOR: Large two-storey eight-bay factory with tall octagonal corner turrets with ventilation slits and pitched caps, larger stair-turret on north-east comer with battlements; the bays are divided by buttresses with set-offs and gabled at their tops above the parapet, stone mullion-transom windows with deeply chamfered reveals.
Attached to north end of factory is the small water-mill house bridged over mill race with arched doorways and two small windows on west side.
At right-angles to the south-east of the factory is the two-storey warehouse with a double-span roof with stepped gables, diagonal buttresses, four-light mullion-transom windows in the gable-end, the first floor with raised centre lights, six-bay north elevation with cross-mullion-transom windows and arched doorway in centre-right bay with loading door above.
Attached to the south side, the boiler-house with the base of the chimney on its east side and the engine-house to its left [west] with a C20 water-tank on top.
The manager's house to the east: two storeys, three bays, gabled centre bay breaks forward with set-offs, stone oriel and four-centred arch doorway with hoodmould with shield stops; two and three-light mullion windows; stepped north gable-end, its centre breaking forward with loop at top and French casement on ground floor; at south end the projecting office wing with a diagonal buttress has been extended in brick.
Across the leat to the north a three-bay brick bridge with chamfered four-centred arches and cutwaters and the sluice with cast and wrought-iron gates.
INTERIOR: The water-mill machinery, steam engine and later turbine have been removed. The factory range has cast-iron columns supporting iron beams and jack-arches; the first floor is top-lit from conical iron lanterns in the flat roof The warehouse range has cast-iron columns and iron beams.
This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 15 November 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings