This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9508 / 52°57'2"N
Longitude: -1.1443 / 1°8'39"W
OS Eastings: 457592
OS Northings: 339606
OS Grid: SK575396
Mapcode National: GBR LQQ.DC
Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.D3B6
Plus Code: 9C4WXV24+87
Entry Name: Shire Hall and Adjoining County Gaol
Listing Date: 24 October 1988
Last Amended: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1254517
English Heritage Legacy ID: 457254
Location: Nottingham, NG1
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Bridge
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Peter with St James
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5739NE HIGH PAVEMENT
646-1/21/275 (South side)
24/10/88 Shire Hall and adjoining county gaol
(Formerly Listed as:
Shire hall and attached offices)
Shire hall and adjoining county gaol, now disused, with
attached steps and railings. Designed 1769-70 by James Gandon
and built 1770-72 by Joseph Pickford of Derby. Eastern
addition 1875-76 by W Bliss Sanders. Remodelled and extended
to west 1876-79 by TC Hine, following a fire.
Beneath, and at the rear, extensive rock-hewn caves and cells,
C18 and earlier, and various C19 brick additions, including
retaining walls to the cliff. Ashlar, with ashlar dressings
and slate roofs with skylights. Neo-Classical style with
additions in Italian Renaissance style.
EXTERIOR: largely original central block has a deep
dentillated cornice and pierced balustrade. 2 storeys; 7
window range. Projecting centre, 3 bays, divided by giant
Ionic half-columns. Central round-arched doorway with keystone
and panelled double doors, flanked by C19 round-arched cross
casements. Above, a rectangular blank panel flanked by
roundels, all with moulded surrounds. The frieze is decorated
with Roman symbols of justice, and above the cornice is a
panelled parapet containing an inscribed datestone. Beyond, on
each side, 2 round-arched doorways with pediments on brackets,
panelled doors and fanlights. Above, 2 rectangular blank
panels. In front, 3 parallel flights of steps.
To left, addition, 1875-76, with rusticated basement, sill
bands, string course, moulded cornice and pierced balustrade.
2 storeys plus basement; 3 window range. Projecting central
entrance bay flanked on each floor by paired Ionic columns and
topped with a panelled parapet and the City coat of arms.
Round-arched doorway with keystone, with panelled double doors
and fanlight. On either side, a round-arched window, the left
one fronted by a balustraded balcony. Under the windows,
round-arched doorways with mask keystones. Above, 3 blanks
with moulded surrounds, the central one round-arched.
In front, steps up to the central door flanked by short ashlar
balustrades with panelled piers, 2 of them topped with
cast-iron lamps. Beyond, steps down to the basement, with
pairs of wrought-iron gates.
To right, a projecting stair turret, 1876, topped with a
square lead dome and cast-iron crest. Rusticated basement,
paired Ionic angle pilasters, dentillated cornice, pierced
balustrade. On each side, a round-arched cross mullioned
window under a pediment, and above it, a blank panel. Above
again, a pedimented dormer with a round-arched cross casement.
To left, an entrance with wrought-iron gate and overthrow.
INTERIOR has a central entrance hall, 2 storeys, with
round-arched arcades on 3 sides, with round columns and
waterleaf capitals. To east, County Court, refitted 1876, with
raised public galleries on 3 sides, with 2 pairs of Ionic
columns in antis between square Ionic piers. Complete wooden
fittings of 1876, including dock, jury box, judge's throne,
and seating for court officials. To west, Civil Court, 1876, 2
storeys, with raised octagonal round-arched arcade with marble
columns. Complete original fittings including brass gas lamps.
Coffered ceiling with central skylight.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 225; Get to know Nottingham: Brand K: The Shire Hall
and old County Gaol: Nottingham).
Listing NGR: SK5759239606
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings