This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9539 / 52°57'14"N
Longitude: -1.1521 / 1°9'7"W
OS Eastings: 457063
OS Northings: 339951
OS Grid: SK570399
Mapcode National: GBR LNP.P7
Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.80NS
Entry Name: Habitat and Rj's Homeshop
Listing Date: 11 May 1988
Last Amended: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1254555
English Heritage Legacy ID: 457461
Location: Nottingham, NG1
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Bridge
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Peter with St James
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5739NW LONG ROW WEST
646-1/20/344 (North side)
11/05/88 Nos.54 AND 57
Habitat (54) and RJ's Homeshop (57)
(Formerly Listed as:
LONG ROW WEST
Nos.52-57 (consec) Pearson's
Facades of 3 former merchants' houses. 1705, c1720 and c1740.
Converted to shops late C19, converted to a department store
c1920, largely demolished c1990 and now divided into two
units. Painted brick, with painted ashlar and brick dressings,
and coped gables. Roofless.
EXTERIOR: left house has a canopy carried on 4 cast-iron Doric
columns, covering a blocked doorway flanked by shop windows.
Above, 2 floors each with 5 glazing bar sashes linked by a
brick band, the upper windows with moulded surrounds and
projecting keystones. Above again, 3 coped gables, each with a
glazing bar sash in a projecting surround with keystone.
Central house has a ground floor arcade with 3 cast-iron Doric
columns and C20 shopfronts. Above, 2 floors each with 4
glazing bar sashes with brick flat arches and keystones,
linked by a brick band. The upper windows are taller. Above
again, a bracketed wooden cornice, then 4 pedimented dormers,
each with a 2-light casement.
Right house has a ground floor arcade with 2 cast-iron
columns, covering a C20 shopfront and a passage entrance.
Above, 3 glazing bar sashes, the central one blocked. Above, a
brick band, then 3 similar sashes with painted surrounds.
Above again, 3 smaller sashes under a wooden cornice.
The site includes at the north end, a large cave, probably
medieval, with several flared rock columns. At the south end
of the site, a later cave, now filled.
INTERIOR: basement contains various vaulted cellars, mostly
carved out of the sandstone rocks, with C17 brick barrel
vaulted roofs. One cave contains a round pillar with capital
and lighting niches, this is reputed to be medieval. The
western block has pairs of very large oak beams to all the
upper floors, though walls have been replaced by steel
girders, to the rear is a single flight return staircase with
splat balusters, some replaced, which rises through the upper
3 floors. The central block contains 2 original panelled rooms
on the first floor. The right hand room has 2 full walls of
tall and deeply raised and fielded panels. The left room has 3
walls of simpler fielded panelling with over doors, cupboards
and an overmantel. Both rooms retain their moulded cornices.
Both upper rooms retain their original fireplaces. Behind the
central block are two C16 warehouses which are now only
visible in the attics where the trusses are visible, there is
also a single flight return staircase with 2 turned balusters
per head, which rises through the 3 upper floors, and also a
splat baluster back staircase which runs also through 3
(Reprint from The Mercian Geologist, Vol. 13, Sept. 1992:
Waltham AC: The sandstone caves of Nottingham: Nottingham:
Listing NGR: SK5706339951
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings