History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Smithfield Market Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Ancoats and Clayton, Manchester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4855 / 53°29'7"N

Longitude: -2.2349 / 2°14'5"W

OS Eastings: 384512

OS Northings: 398776

OS Grid: SJ845987

Mapcode National: GBR DLF.RK

Mapcode Global: WHB9G.MNZB

Entry Name: Smithfield Market Hall

Listing Date: 8 October 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1254687

English Heritage Legacy ID: 457765

Location: Manchester, M4

County: Manchester

Electoral Ward/Division: Ancoats and Clayton

Built-Up Area: Manchester

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Manchester Cathedral

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Manchester

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 19/12/2012


SJ8498
698-1/17/414
08/10/73


MANCHESTER
SWAN STREET
(South West side)
Nos.39, 43, 45
Smithfield Market Hall


GV
II


Former wholesale market hall. Dated 1857 on
frieze at front, and "altered 1867" on north side. Coursed
sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, slate and glass roof,
internal iron frame. Rectangular plan. Classical style. Single
storey 5-bay symmetrical facade to Swan Street, the centre and
ends breaking forwards slightly and the centre pedimented;
with moulded plinth, punch-dressed quoins, lettered frieze,
dentilled cornice and parapet with panels and upstands. The
centre has a round-headed archway with ornamental cast-iron
fanlight grill, rock-faced voussoirs and a bulls-head
keyblock, framed by a tetrastyle pilaster portico with
Corinthianesque capitals incorporating rams' heads, and a
mutuled pediment with acroterion; the outer bays have large
Venetian-form openings with round-headed archways which have
similar voussoirs and monogrammed keystones; and the frieze of
these three portions has inscriptions: "SMITHFIELD / MARKET
HALL" (in the pediment of the centre), and "ERECTED BY THE"
"CORPORATION OF THE CITY" "ANNO DOMINI 1857" from left to
right respectively. The intermediate bays have altered
shuttered openings under horizontal panels with grills pierced
by circular openings. The north side, 1:3:1 bays, has large
round-headed arches with imposts, and a metal and glass canopy
attached at impost level. Interior not inspected.


Listing NGR: SJ8451298776

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.