History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Victoria Station Including Concourse to Rear with Restaurant and Booking Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in City Centre, Manchester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4874 / 53°29'14"N

Longitude: -2.2445 / 2°14'40"W

OS Eastings: 383872

OS Northings: 398995

OS Grid: SJ838989

Mapcode National: GBR DJD.PV

Mapcode Global: WHB9G.HLDT

Entry Name: Victoria Station Including Concourse to Rear with Restaurant and Booking Hall

Listing Date: 20 June 1988

Last Amended: 6 June 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1254725

English Heritage Legacy ID: 457831

Location: Manchester, M3

County: Manchester

Electoral Ward/Division: City Centre

Built-Up Area: Manchester

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Higher Broughton St James

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Salford

Listing Text


MANCHESTER

SJ8398NE VICTORIA STATION APPROACH
698-1/26/425 (North East side)
20/06/88 Victoria Station including concourse
to rear with restaurant and booking
hall
(Formerly Listed as:
VICTORIA STATION APPROACH
Canopy at front of Victoria Station)

GV II

Railway station. Original block to Hunt's Bank Approach, 1844,
for the Manchester and Leeds Railway Company (also used by the
Liverpool and Manchester Railway Company), altered and greatly
enlarged 1909 by William Dawes for the Lancashire and
Yorkshire Railway Company; altered. Sandstone ashlar office
blocks with slate roofs; cast-iron train sheds with slate and
glazed roofs. Office blocks form L-plan, the original building
on a north-east/south-west axis, and the much larger addition
at right-angles to its north end. 1844 block in Italianate
manner, now 2 storeys (originally one storey) and 7 bays wide,
with square-headed doorways to left and right, arcaded windows
to both floors of the centre, other windows with architraves
and cornices. 1909 block in neo-Baroque style, 4 storeys and
31 bays plus rounded corner at south-east end; with channelled
rustication to ground and 1st floors, pilasters to 2nd and 3rd
floors, moulded cornice, and balustraded parapet interrupted
by wide segmental open pediments over the 2nd, 6th, 19th and
29th bays, and upstands with clocks over the 4th bay and the
curved corner. Round-headed windows and doorways to ground
floor protected by delicate iron and glass canopy displaying
names of one-time destinations in Art Nouveau lettering;
windows to upper floors mostly square-headed and mullioned,
but including oriels at 2nd and Venetian windows at 3rd floor
of the pedimented bays. Fine surviving interiors to this part,
including panelled booking hall, restaurant with stained glass
dome and mosaic lettering, bookstall with mosaic decoration,
map of Lancashire and Yorkshire railway system in tilework,
etc.


Listing NGR: SJ8387298995

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.