This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5051 / 53°30'18"N
Longitude: -2.2426 / 2°14'33"W
OS Eastings: 384007
OS Northings: 400961
OS Grid: SD840009
Mapcode National: GBR DK6.3J
Mapcode Global: WHB9G.J5B8
Plus Code: 9C5VGQ44+2X
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 3 October 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1254832
English Heritage Legacy ID: 458149
Location: Manchester, M8
Electoral Ward/Division: Cheetham
Built-Up Area: Manchester
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Cheetham
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 80 SW WATERLOO ROAD, Cheetham
698-1/2/580 Church of St John
Church. 1869-71, by Paley and Austin. Coursed squared sandstone, red tile roofs. Romanesque/early C12 style. Nave and full-height apsidal chancel in one, with north and south aisles, west porch and south-west tower. The large square 4-stage tower has a distinctive design with clasping corner pilasters terminating in steeply-pitched pyramidal roofs which clasp the lower stage of a steep pyramidal mansard root; a rounded 2-centred arched south doorway moulded in 4 orders with pipe-corbels to a carved tympanum, a one-light west window to the 2nd stage moulded in 2 orders, shafted blank arcading to the 3rd stage with 2 small lancets in the centre of each side, and tall coupled belfry windows with shafts and louvres. The west end of the nave has prominent buttresses framing a 2-bay porch with mono-pitched roof and 2 doorways with moulded surrounds and carved tympana lettered "In the Beginning" and " Alleluia Alleluia" respectively, 3 lancets above the porch with linked hoodmoulds, and a moulded multifoil in the gable. The 3-bay nave and 2-bay chancel have pilasters with corner shafts, coupled windows to the nave and pairs of windows to the chancel with a nailhead band in each bay; the aisles have cusped lancets and a central buttress; and the apse (flow surrounded by C20 single-storey additions) has buttresses and 2 tiers of arcading, with 2-centred blind windows in the lower and 2-centred arched windows in the upper, and a nailhead band carried round. Interior: Wagon roof with tie beams supported by arcade of alternate polygonal and clustered columns. Much original woodwork including choir stalls and pulpit decorated with incised flowers and full set of benches to the nave. Blind arcading in the apse and massive sculpted reredos added 1879. Mosaic panels in apse and over west door and encaustic tiles in chancel. Stained glass, largely of the 1880's, including windows by C.E.Kempe.
A landmark in its locality, designed by one of the region's most significant and influential architectural partnerships of the late C19.
Listing NGR: SD8400700961
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings