This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3607 / 53°21'38"N
Longitude: -1.4678 / 1°28'3"W
OS Eastings: 435517
OS Northings: 385003
OS Grid: SK355850
Mapcode National: GBR 9HT.V2
Mapcode Global: WHDDP.FS9G
Entry Name: Christ Church
Listing Date: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1254897
English Heritage Legacy ID: 458271
Location: Sheffield, S2
Electoral Ward/Division: Gleadless Valley
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Heeley
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK38SE GLEADLESS ROAD
784-1/10/352 (North East side)
Parish church. 1848, by Joseph Mitchell. Nave extension, north
aisle and vestry, 1890, and south aisle 1897, all by JD
Webster. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and slate
roofs with coped gables, crosses and finials. Gothic Revival
PLAN: chancel, vestry, nave, north and south aisles, south
transept, north tower, south porch.
EXTERIOR: 2 bay chancel has to east 2 diagonal buttresses and
5-light pointed arch window with chamfered surround, on
stepped sillband. North side has single buttress and 2
flat-headed single light windows. South side has adjoining
gabled vestry with gabled side wall stack and gabled angle
buttress. To east, shouldered plank door and to its right, a
2-light pointed arch window. To south, a similar window.
South transept has diagonal buttresses and a 2-light pointed
arch window to east and west. To south, a 3-light pointed arch
window with a trefoil opening above it and a pointed arched
doorway with hoodmould below.
Gabled south aisle, 5 bays, has buttresses and 2 datestones,
1897. South side has three 2-light pointed arch windows to
east of the porch and a similar window to west and at the west
end. South porch has diagonal buttresses and coped gable with
cross. Moulded doorway with double shafts. Interior has vault
with filleted flying ribs, moulded doorway with single shafts,
C20 doors and traceried overlight with hoodmould. Stone
North tower, 3 stages, has string courses and crenellated
parapet with flat topped diagonal pinnacles. Clasping
buttresses to ground stage and second stage, diagonal buttress
to first stage. Octagonal stair turret with loops, to north
east. North side has a 3-light pointed arch window between
stages, with hoodmould. East side has a similar window. Second
stage has a 2-light pointed arch bell opening on each side,
with a clock dial to south and west, 1901.
Lean-to north aisle, 5 bays, has buttresses and five 2-light
pointed arch windows, plus a similar window at the west end.
Nave west end has a 4-light pointed arch window with
flamboyant tracery and hoodmould with stops. Trefoil above.
INTERIOR: chancel has double chamfered arch with triple shaft
responds. Arch braced roof with traceried spandrels and mask
corbels. East end has a Decorated style blind arcade and a
stained glass window, 1913. South side has a double gabled
wooden sedilia, Decorated style, and to west a moulded arch
with hoodmould, containing traceried wooden screen and doors.
North side has 2 windows.
Crossing has single bay wooden vault with moulded ribs and
corbels, and double chamfered arches to north and south, with
triple shaft responds. Low screen wall to sanctuary, with
roll-top alabaster coping.
South transept has steep pitched arch braced roof with king
posts and mask corbels. East side has pointed arched recess
with door to vestry, and stained glass window, 1865 and 1882.
South gable has plain window with blocked doorway below. West
side has a plain window and single chamfered arch to aisle.
Nave has 5 bay arcades with round columns and double chamfered
arches, and arch braced principal rafter roof with king posts.
At the west end, 2 bays enclosed by late C20 glazed wooden
screens to form gallery and mezzanine floor above, and meeting
rooms below. Plain west window.
South aisle has arch braced roof with shafts and corbels, and
C20 door at west end.
North transept, under tower, has cross beam ceiling, and plain
windows on each side. To west, chamfered arch to north aisle.
North aisle has strutted lean-to roof with corbels.
FITTINGS include C19 traceried octagonal font, Decorated
style, with clustered shafts and octagonal crocketed spire
canopy. Steps with text inlaid in encaustic tile. Traceried
wooden altar rail and octagonal pulpit with clustered ashlar
shafts, prayer desks and altar, in similar style. Brass tripod
lectern and steps dated 1890. Panelled softwood benches.
Memorials include segment-headed bronze war memorial tablet,
1920, marble tablet, 1828, and Gothic marble tablet, 1894.
(Researches by G Hague, Sheffield City Council).
Listing NGR: SK3551785003
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings