History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Armoury

A Grade II Listed Building in Shrewsbury, Shropshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7095 / 52°42'34"N

Longitude: -2.7589 / 2°45'32"W

OS Eastings: 348821

OS Northings: 312697

OS Grid: SJ488126

Mapcode National: GBR BJ.27H8

Mapcode Global: WH8BT.L5F4

Plus Code: 9C4VP65R+RC

Entry Name: The Armoury

Listing Date: 27 January 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1254936

English Heritage Legacy ID: 458392

Location: Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY1

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Shrewsbury

Built-Up Area: Shrewsbury

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Shrewsbury St Chad

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Shrewsbury

Description

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/07/2019

SJ 4812 NE
653-1/10/687

SHREWSBURY
VICTORIA AVENUE (south side),
VICTORIA QUAY
The Armoury

(Formerly listed as Former Bakery, VICTORIA AVENUE, previously listed as Bakery)

27/01/94

GV
II
Former barracks, later rebuilt as a bakery and renovated in 1995 as a public house. Originally built 1806 as barracks by James Wyatt for Shrewsbury Armoury, on a site adjacent to London Road, and moved to this location and rebuilt as bakery 1922. Brick on stone plinth with Welsh slate roof.

Two storeys, ten bays articulated by full-height pilasters, the outer bays advanced. Lower windows have round-arched fine gauged brick heads, flat-arched brick heads above. Lower windows of outer bays have flat-arched heads stepped to suggest voussoirs. Stone sills of upper windows from string course interrupted by pilasters. Overhanging eaves, the plain cornice continuing across gables as a pediment.

Narrow two window infill range links with two storey house or office block to right: two twelve-pane sash windows on each floor, the lower windows now blocked with flat-arched gauged brick heads. Stone plinth and continuous stone sill band to first floor windows. Plain overhanging eaves to hipped roof with end wall stack.

Listing NGR: SJ4882112697

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.