History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Entrance Gateway to Green Lane Works

A Grade II* Listed Building in City, Sheffield

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3894 / 53°23'21"N

Longitude: -1.4748 / 1°28'29"W

OS Eastings: 435025

OS Northings: 388192

OS Grid: SK350881

Mapcode National: GBR 9GG.BS

Mapcode Global: WHDDP.92YF

Entry Name: Entrance Gateway to Green Lane Works

Listing Date: 1 May 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1255044

English Heritage Legacy ID: 458629

Location: Sheffield, S3

County: Sheffield

Electoral Ward/Division: City

Built-Up Area: Sheffield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: The Vine, Sheffield

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Walkley

Listing Text


SHEFFIELD

SK3588SW GREEN LANE
784-1/15/393 (North side)
01/05/52 Entrance gateway to Green Lane Works

II*

Works entrance. Dated 1860. Built for Henry Hoole. Restored
and refronted 1985. Ashlar, stucco and brick, with gabled and
hipped slate roof with single gable stack.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; 8 bays. Entrance, in the form of a
tripartite triumphal arch, has quoins, impost band and
dentilled cornice. Projecting centre has dentilled pediment
and frieze inscribed "Green Lane Works". Round-arched entrance
with rusticated base and voussoirs and mask keystone. Narrow
wings have framed bronze relief panels of Industry and Art,
possibly by Alfred Stevens, who was employed by the firm in
1850-52. Below, single round-headed doorways. On either side,
a blank stucco bay and beyond, blank brick bays, 1985. Under
the archway, a pair of tall board doors. Above, a square
cupola with diagonal buttresses, and console brackets to the
corniced clock stage, topped with a round-arched square
lantern with square dome and weather vane. Plainer rear
elevation has pediment with bust in roundel and the
inscription "Established AD 1795. Rebuilt by Henry E Hoole
1860". Rusticated gateway. To left, a stucco wing with first
floor sillband. Five 12 pane sashes and a tripartite sash.
Above, 8 late C20 windows.
INTERIOR not inspected.
From c1851-1930, this works was used for making cast-iron
fireplaces, and from 1940-48 for making razor blades.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West
Riding: London: 1967-: 470; Information board in company
office).


Listing NGR: SK3502588192

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.