This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3884 / 53°23'18"N
Longitude: -1.4739 / 1°28'26"W
OS Eastings: 435086
OS Northings: 388083
OS Grid: SK350880
Mapcode National: GBR 9GH.J4
Mapcode Global: WHDDP.B3C5
Plus Code: 9C5W9GQG+9C
Entry Name: Former Ebenezer Wesleyan Chapel
Listing Date: 28 June 1973
Last Amended: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247393
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456847
Location: City, Sheffield, S3
Electoral Ward/Division: City
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sheffield
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 7 September 2021 to update the name and address and reformat the text to current standards
SOUTH PARADE (north east side)
No 1, New Life International Church
former Ebenezer Wesleyan Chapel
(Formerly listed as William Brothers of Sheffield, SOUTH PARADE, previously listed as: SOUTH PARADE, Premises of Messrs. W Canning & Co.)
Formerly known as: Ebenezer Wesleyan Chapel SOUTH PARADE. Methodist chapel and adjoining Sunday school, now warehouse. Dated 1823, Sunday school dated 1883, additions early C20. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and hipped and gabled slate roofs with single ridge, gable and side wall stacks. Chapel in Gothick style.
EXTERIOR: plinth, string courses and sillbands, crenellated parapet. Octagonal corner piers, carried above the parapet, with flat caps. Two storeys; five x six windows. Windows are traceried three-light pointed arch windows with hoodmoulds. Main body with west tower porch and flanking lobbies. West end has central tower porch with octagonal corner piers and a latticework band between floors. On each side, a single window. Beyond, on each side, two windows. Below, central chamfered pointed doorway with hoodmould and above it, a round window. On either side, a single storey lobby, now used as a showroom, with octagonal corner piers and parapet. Three large single pane C20 windows, with stone mullions between them. Each return has a similar window with toplights. Main body has on each side, six windows on each floor. The two lower north-west windows are covered by a late C19 addition. Late C19 additions have steep pitched slate roofs with coped gables. North-east addition, single storey; four window range.
L-plan. Left gable with two glazing bar two-light pointed arch windows with hoodmoulds and above them, a round window. To right, two single light windows with transoms, and to their right, a blank. West gable has a round window with hoodmould. South-east addition, two storeys; three window range. Three glazing bar windows with transoms and central doorway with overlight and hoodmould, flanked by similar windows. West gable has two large two-light pointed arch windows with hoodmoulds and below, a large canted bay window with hipped roof and four shouldered single lancets.
Rear elevation has a central gable with two windows on each floor and to left, a two storey block; three window range. To left again, a projecting gable with two windows. To right, a single bay range with C20 loading door and two windows.
INTERIOR not inspected.
Listing NGR: SK3508688083
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings