This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7063 / 52°42'22"N
Longitude: -2.7511 / 2°45'3"W
OS Eastings: 349349
OS Northings: 312329
OS Grid: SJ493123
Mapcode National: GBR BJ.2HF4
Mapcode Global: WH8BT.Q75N
Entry Name: 71, 72 and 73, Wyle Cop
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Last Amended: 17 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1255124
English Heritage Legacy ID: 458756
Location: Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY1
Civil Parish: Shrewsbury
Built-Up Area: Shrewsbury
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Shrewsbury St Chad
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ4912SW WYLE COP
653-1/15/730 (South side)
10/01/53 Nos.71, 72 AND 73
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.71, 72 AND 73
including Nos. 1 and 2 Barrack's
Passage (to rear))
Pair of shops, originally dwelling but possibly also
incorporating early shops. Mid C15. Timber-framed with plain
tiled roof. Sloping site, with 4 storeys to lower section, 3
to upper, divided by central arch to passage.
4-window range. Lower storey partly renewed in brick with
traditional-style shop windows inserted late C20. Framing in
upper storeys is close studding, with middle rail in first
floor and cusped braces across central section above. Deep
coved jetty to second floor with moulded brackets. 3 casement
windows with leaded lights over shop front in left-hand
section. Paired 4-light mullioned and transomed windows above
to left, one original (restored) with ornate traceried heads.
Below this window a plaque reads "Henry VII lodged here in
1485 before Bosworth". 6-light mullioned and transomed oriel
window over passage entry, and paired 2-light mullioned and
transomed window to right. Some original (restored)
fenestration in second storey: paired traceried 3-light
windows to left, and a 6-light window centrally. Plain 4-light
mullioned window to right. Exposed framing in side walls to
passage, with tension braces, and an ogee arched timber
doorway. Gable end stack.
The building probably comprises a first-floor hall originally
built over shops. An outstanding late medieval town house, the
survival of original fenestration to the exterior being
particularly notable. Rear wing forms Trotting Horse building
on Barracks Passage (qv).
(Smith JT: Shrewsbury: Topography and Domestic Architecture to
the mid C17: 1953-).
Listing NGR: SJ4934912329
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings