This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9513 / 52°57'4"N
Longitude: -1.142 / 1°8'31"W
OS Eastings: 457744
OS Northings: 339668
OS Grid: SK577396
Mapcode National: GBR LQQ.W5
Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.F2FS
Plus Code: 9C4WXV25+G6
Entry Name: 53, Stoney Street
Listing Date: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1255183
English Heritage Legacy ID: 458885
Location: Nottingham, NG1
Electoral Ward/Division: Bridge
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Peter with St James
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5739NE STONEY STREET
646-1/21/633 (East side)
Warehouse and offices, and attached chimney. 1873. By F
Williamson for Pratt, Hurst & Co., lace manufacturers.
Addition facing Hollow Stone 1904, by WD Pratt of Nottingham
for the same firm. Red brick, with ashlar dressings and slate
Chamfered plinth, quoins to end bays, ground floor and second
floor sill bands, moulded eaves cornice and blocking course.
Windows mainly reglazed, with stone lintels. 5 storeys plus
basements; 5 x 14 windows. Corner site, sloping downwards left
to right on Hollow Stone.
Stoney Street front has a central ashlar doorcase with granite
pilasters, cornice, and moulded 12-panel double doors with
overlight. On each side, 2 windows. Above, a tripartite sash
flanked by 2 windows. Above again, similar fenestration on
each floor, with original margin glazed sashes to the second
floor. Basement has 4 small openings, one blocked.
Right return, to Hollow Stone, has projecting end bays, 2
windows. Regular fenestration, with original margin glazed
sashes to the second floor. Basements have inserted loading
doors in the centre and end bays. At the rear, an octagonal
coped factory chimney.
Addition, to right, red brick with ashlar ground floor and
basement, ashlar dressings, and slate roof. 5 storeys plus
basement and attics; 3 window range. Ground floor and basement
have 3 tall round-arched openings divided by rusticated
pilasters, with keystones and panelled transoms. To right, a
cart entrance, to left, 2 cross casements, 3 lights. The
arches are glazed, with wooden cross frames.
Upper floors are divided by pilasters under a moulded cornice.
On each floor, 3 paired windows, with original plain sashes to
the third and fourth floors. Attic has a coped round topped
gable with a 2-light window.
(Nottingham Industrial Archaeological Society Journal:
Oldfield G: Nottingham: 1983-: 3-7).
Listing NGR: SK5774439668
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings