History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Angel Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Nottingham, Nottingham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9534 / 52°57'12"N

Longitude: -1.1434 / 1°8'36"W

OS Eastings: 457643

OS Northings: 339897

OS Grid: SK576398

Mapcode National: GBR LQP.KF

Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.D1R6

Entry Name: Old Angel Public House

Listing Date: 30 November 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1255184

English Heritage Legacy ID: 458886

Location: Nottingham, NG1

County: Nottingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Bridge

Built-Up Area: Nottingham

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Peter with St James

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Nottingham

Listing Text


NOTTINGHAM

SK5739NE STONEY STREET
646-1/21/634 (East side)
Old Angel Public House

GV II

2 houses, now public house. c1800, altered 1878 by Lawrence
Bright of Nottingham for W Robinson, and 1883 by H Walker for
J Robinson. Restored late C20. Stucco with painted ashlar
shopfront, stucco dressings and gabled and hipped slate roofs.
3 gable and single ridge brick stacks, rebuilt.
Cornice to ground floor. 3 storeys; 4 x 3 windows. Corner site
with corner entrance.
Stoney Street front has to left a symmetrical facade, 3
windows. Ground floor, c1878, has a doorway and sidelights
with granite shafts, and shouldered overlight flanked by
roundels. Beyond, a shouldered window to right, and 2 similar
windows to left, all with granite shafts. Above, 3 glazing bar
sashes. Above again, a shaped panel with the name in raised
lettering, flanked by smaller glazing bar sashes.
To right, a single bay with a C19 window to the ground floor,
with etched glass. Above, a glazing bar sash, and above again,
a smaller sash, both with keystones.
Right return, to Woolpack Lane, has to left a corner doorway
and overlight. To right, a door altered to a window, flanked
by sidelights and plain sashes with moulded surrounds. Above,
to left, a glazing bar sash, and above it, a blank. To right,
4 tall round-arched margin glazed plain sashes, mid C19.
INTERIOR: mainly refitted late C20, retains fragments of C19
cornices.
(Nottingham Industrial Archaeological Society Journal:
Oldfield G: Nottingham: 1983-: 3-7).


Listing NGR: SK5764339897

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.