History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Nottingham, City of Nottingham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9469 / 52°56'48"N

Longitude: -1.1866 / 1°11'11"W

OS Eastings: 454750

OS Northings: 339143

OS Grid: SK547391

Mapcode National: GBR LFR.4R

Mapcode Global: WHDGY.R645

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 30 November 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1255263

English Heritage Legacy ID: 459078

Location: Nottingham, NG8

County: City of Nottingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Dunkirk and Lenton

Built-Up Area: Nottingham

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Wollaton Park

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Basford

Listing Text


NOTTINGHAM

SK53NW WOLLATON HALL DRIVE
646-1/6/719 (North West side)
Church of St Mary

GV II

Parish church. 1937-39. By Cecil Howitt of Nottingham. Endowed
by Col. WG Player, and built by Harry Butler. Stained glass
1937, by AJ Dix of London. Buff brick, with moulded brick
dressings and plain tile roof with coped gables and crosses.
Plinth, string course, sill band, corbel table. Symmetrical
single unit, with west porches and eastern vestries to north
and south.
Main body, 7 bays, has heavy, chamfered clasping buttresses.
At each end, a traceried round-arched window, 5 lights. On
each side, 5 tall rebated windows with round heads.
Gabled vestries have canted corners and low parapets.
Mullioned windows, 3-light, in the gables, and doors to east
and west.
Similar west porches have rebated round-arched doorways and
double board doors. Small 2-light window each side. Sundial
over west door.
INTERIOR: brick, with coffered barrel vaulted wooden roof on
corbels, with original wrought-iron pendant lamps. Single
plain brick arch at each end. Ashlar string course and sill
band. Panelled wooden reredos. Organ pipes flanking the west
window. At each end, a doorway to north and south. Stained
glass windows on each side. Original fittings including
cubical ashlar font, panelled pulpit, lectern, desk and
benches. Bronze inscribed tablet in memory of the founder, WG
Player.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 274; Scoffham E: A Vision of the City: the architecture
of TC Howitt: Nottingham: 1992-: 41).


Listing NGR: SK5475039143

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.