This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9473 / 52°56'50"N
Longitude: -1.1853 / 1°11'7"W
OS Eastings: 454838
OS Northings: 339187
OS Grid: SK548391
Mapcode National: GBR LFR.FM
Mapcode Global: WHDGY.R5RW
Entry Name: Lenton Lodge (Former Gateway to Wollaton Park) and Attached Bollards
Listing Date: 11 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1270829
English Heritage Legacy ID: 457103
Location: Nottingham, NG8
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Dunkirk and Lenton
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Wollaton Park
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK53NW DERBY ROAD
646-1/6/193 (North West side)
11/08/52 Lenton Lodge (former gateway to
Wollaton Park) and attached bollards
Gate lodge to Wollaton Hall (qv), now office, and attached
bollards. 1823-25. By Sir Jeffrey Wyatville for the 6th Lord
Middleton. Ashlar, with lead mortar and lead roofs.
Elizabethan Revival style.
EXTERIOR: 2 multiple side wall stacks with round flues.
Moulded plinth and string course on brackets. Windows are
mainly stone mullioned casements, 2 lights.
Central gatehouse with domed corner turrets, flanked by screen
walls concealing outbuildings, and square end pavilions.
Gatehouse, 3 storeys, 3 bays, has a round-arched carriage
entrance, 2 storeys, with framed wooden gates to a passage
with coffered barrel vault. The gates were originally operated
by an underground mechanism, which survives. On each side,
round-arched pedestrian entrances, also with framed doors.
Above them, single windows with strapwork panels. Above again,
a panel spanning the gate, with bronze plaque with coat of
arms flanked by traceried panels. Beyond, single windows.
Above again, bracketed cornice and pierced balustrade. Round
corner turrets, 4 stages, with pairs of round-headed windows
on the lower floors, single casements on the second floor, and
smaller round-arched windows above.
Screen walls have each 3 strapwork gables. Projecting
pavilions have round-arched niches set in blank panels, and
strapwork gables with pediments.
Outside, 2 sets of cast-iron bollards (38) linked by spiked
chains, and arranged in unequal triangles either side of the
main entrance. The chains are linked to the lodge walls by
lions' head bosses.
Rear elevation similar, with additional windows. Each pavilion
has a traceried 2-light window.
INTERIOR has ashlar floors and ceilings carried on cast-iron
beams. Skirtings and dado panels are also ashlar. The original
wooden doors and frames survive.
HISTORICAL NOTE: this building was erected at the main
entrance to Wollaton Park from Nottingham, and was linked to a
high brick perimeter wall erected at the same time all round
the park. The lodge, with its fireproof construction and
mechanical gates, was part of a defence against riotous mobs,
which were frequent in Nottinghamshire after c1815. Their
culmination was the burning down of Nottingham Castle in 1831.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 280; Lindstrum D: Sir Jeffrey Wyatville, Architect to
the King: Oxford: 1972-).
Listing NGR: SK5483839187
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings