This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9529 / 52°57'10"N
Longitude: -1.2201 / 1°13'12"W
OS Eastings: 452492
OS Northings: 339790
OS Grid: SK524397
Mapcode National: GBR L5P.SL
Mapcode Global: WHDGY.717J
Plus Code: 9C4WXQ3H+5X
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard and Attached Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 11 August 1952
Last Amended: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1255283
English Heritage Legacy ID: 459113
Location: Nottingham, NG8
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Wollaton West
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Wollaton
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
WOLLATON ROAD (North East side), Wollaton,
Church of St Leonard and attached boundary wall
(Formerly Listed as:
WOLLATON ROAD, Wollaton
Church of St Leonard)
Parish church. Chancel c1200, remodelled C14, nave and tower
late C14, north aisle c1500, Willoughby mausoleum and south
aisle 1885-87, by Charles Hodgson Fowler. Restored 1885-87,
also by Fowler, and 1968-70. Mausoleum converted to south
chapel 1924. Coursed squared stone and ashlar, with ashlar
dressings and slate roofs.
PLAN: chancel, south chapel, nave with clerestory, aisles,
west tower and spire.
EXTERIOR: plinth, sill bands, coped parapets and gables, with
crosses. Diagonal and angle buttresses. Chancel has a
traceried east window, 3 lights, with hood mould. On each
side, a traceried flat-headed window, 2 lights. South chapel
has a four-centred arched east window, 3 lights, with hood
mould, and to south 2 flat-headed windows, 2 lights.
Round-arched priest's door.
North aisle, 10 bays, has renewed flat-headed untraceried
windows, 2 and 3 lights. To east, a 4-centred arched door
flanked to left by a small original window. In the eighth bay,
moulded pointed arched doorway, now blocked. Ends have single
windows. South aisle, 3 bays, has to east 2 flat-headed
windows, 3 lights, and to west, a moulded doorway. West end
has 2 single lancets.
Nave, 3 bays, has to south-west a traceried flat-headed
window, 2 lights. To its left, a narrow doorway. 2 flat-headed
clerestory windows, 3 lights. On the north side, 2 small
clerestory windows, 2 lights.
Square west tower, 2 stages, has small diagonal buttresses and
crenellated parapet. Double chamfered pointed arched openings
to north and south, with late C20 glazing. Clock to west. Bell
stage has a traceried flat-headed opening, 2 lights, on each
side. Set back octagonal spire with a tier of lucarnes.
Boundary wall, attached to west tower, borders Wollaton Road
on the south east side approx 60m. Coursed squared stone with
INTERIOR: rendered. Chancel has at the west end a moulded span
beam with arch braces and corbels, in addition to the original
beam. C19 arch braced roof on corbels. East end has a stained
glass window, 1886, and an unusual carved wooden reredos,
c1660, with columns and broken segmental pediment. North side
has a C19 doorway, then a large monument with an early C20
stained glass window above. South side has an ogee piscina and
single sedilia, C14, and a stained glass window, 1922.
South chapel has a renewed low pitched roof, plain windows,
and roll moulded doorway to south.
Nave has restored low pitched roof. North arcade, 5 bays, has
double chamfered arches with unusual quatrefoil piers. East
and west bays are narrower, with sections of wall instead of
piers. South arcade, 3 bays, restored C19, has double
chamfered arches to west with a quatrefoil pier, and a
cove-moulded arch to east. West of the arcade, a stained glass
window, C19, 2 lights. West end has a pointed arched doorway,
North aisle has low pitched roof, mainly original, with
plaster ceiling at east end. C19 door into chancel, C20 door
to adjoining church hall. C20 stained glass east window. South
aisle has renewed roof and double chamfered arch to south
chapel. 2 early C20 stained glass windows, and south door
altered to a window.
Fittings include octagonal font, wooden skeleton pulpit and
brass lectern, 1886, and mid C20 stalls and benches.
Monuments are unusually numerous, including canopied recess
with brasses, slab and cadaver to Richard Willoughby, 1471,
and arched recess with tomb chest and effigies to Henry
Willoughby and 4 wives, 1528. The chest has openwork arches
and figures, and a cadaver below. Other Willoughby family
monuments include a tablet with urns and vases, 1800, by Sir
John Bacon, and another with angels, 1835, by Sir Richard
Westmacott. Tablet with strapwork, 1614, to Robert Smythson,
designer of Wollaton Hall (qv).
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
Listing NGR: SK5249239790
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings